Oprah Winfrey’s new OWN channel averaged 1 million viewersJanuary 4th, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Jan 4 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Oprah Winfrey’s OWN channel was launched on New Year’s Day but it was without the predicted bang.
That though did not stop about a million viewers from tuning in. The viewers have been somewhat consistent at least that is what the preliminary Nielsen statistics show.
The channel took the place that Discovery Health previously occupied on the cable systems in the United States.
Not surprisingly, the show on the channel that is getting all the attention is Oprah’s behind the scene shows. When the first episode was shown on the channel on Saturday night, about 1.160 million people tuned in to watch the program.
When the program’s next episode was aired again, some 1.196 million viewers watched the program.
There are other programs on the channel that are also enjoying massive audience as well. However it is Oprah’s show on the channel that is getting all the attention for now.
The OWN channel which is an acronym for Oprah Winfrey’s Network is partly owned by Oprah. The other partner in the network is Discovery Channel.
Oprah Winfrey is set to quit her blockbuster show, The Oprah Winfrey Show, when the current season ends. The show has run for 25 seasons and it is the longest running daytime television talk show in the United States.
- Oprah Winfrey's Fresh OWN Channel Receives An Average Of 1 Million Viewers On Its Debut - Jan 04, 2011
- Oprah Winfrey's OWN struggling to pull in viewers - Mar 01, 2011
- Actor Lee Majors Appears As Guest On "The Oprah Winfrey Show" - Nov 25, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey's OWN Network Garners 1 Million Viewers In Debut - Jan 04, 2011
- Oprah Winfrey set to end her talk show in 2011 - Nov 20, 2009
- Oprah Winfrey appears sans make-up, in bathtub in OWN preview - Dec 31, 2010
- Mark Burnett To Produce A Daytime Talk Show For Oprah's OWN - Sep 22, 2010
- Piers Morgan Ropes In Oprah Winfrey As Talk Show Guest - Jan 07, 2011
- Oprah Winfrey calls an end to her show in 2011 after 25 seasons - Nov 21, 2009
- Oprah may not endorse Obama for 2012 re-election over ratings drop fears - Apr 09, 2011
- Winfrey 'grateful' her TV network launched to successful viewing figures - Jan 08, 2011
- Oprah issues apology for TV remark - Feb 14, 2012
- Oprah Winfrey Unveils Her Television Network Details - Apr 09, 2010
- Get Set For Oprah Winfrey Network - Dec 10, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey Reveals She Has A Half-Sister On Her Show - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: 1 million, acronym, blockbuster, cable systems, daytime television, discovery channel, discovery health, massive audience, million viewers, new year, nielsen, oprah winfrey, oprah winfrey show, saturday night, statistics, talk show, united states