Oprah Winfrey disappointed over acquittal of a women who was accused of abusing childrenOctober 13th, 2010 - 12:10 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Oct 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Oprah Winfrey has indicated her “disappointment” over the acquittal of the woman who was accused of abusing children at the talk show star’s school in South Africa. The incident happened at the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls, which is located just outside the South African Capital of Johannesburg.
The woman at the center of the controversy is Tiny Virginia Makopo, who is 30 years old. She was charged with 14 counts of abuse including sexual abuse in 2007.
A court in South Africa acquitted and discharged Tiny of all 14 counts and Oprah Winfrey appears not happy with that decision.
The TV talk show released a statement saying, “I am profoundly disappointed at the outcome of the trial”.
The statement further expressed appreciations to the girls who got the courage to testify during the trial. The statement said, “I will forever be proud of the nine girls who testified with the courage and conviction to be heard”.
The 2007 incident brought international uproar on Oprah Winfrey. The star was criticized for her supervisory obligation at the school when the incident happened and it is so shocking that she feels let down that no concrete evidence could be found against the former matron of the school.
- Winfrey 'disappointed' as ex-matron cleared of sexual abuse charges - Oct 12, 2010
- Former matron of Winfrey's school cleared of sexual abuse charges - Oct 12, 2010
- Oprah Settles defamation suit outside court - Mar 25, 2010
- Oprah Disappointed At Acquittal of Former School Matron - Oct 12, 2010
- Newborn's body found in Oprah Winfrey's school - Feb 20, 2011
- Oprah Winfrey told to defend defamation case - Mar 17, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey settles defamation lawsuit - Mar 25, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey settles defamation lawsuit - Mar 24, 2010
- Oprah has a doctorate now! - Jun 27, 2011
- Winfrey not to shut down her girls' school in South Africa - Jul 03, 2009
- Oprah Winfrey settles defamation suit out of court - Mar 24, 2010
- Winfrey to teach school students - Jul 07, 2011
- Dead newborn baby found at Oprah Winfrey's South African girls school - Feb 19, 2011
- Oprah Winfrey plans to be a high school teacher - Jul 07, 2011
- Police investigate death of baby at Oprah Winfrey's South African school - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: acquittal, appreciations, concrete evidence, controversy, courage and conviction, disappointment, johannesburg, leadership academy, matron, nine girls, obligation, oprah winfrey, oprah winfrey leadership academy for girls, sexual abuse, south africa, talk show, tiny virginia, tv talk, uproar