‘Oprah Millionaire Contest Show’ is a swindle, says FBIApril 9th, 2009 - 5:15 pm ICT by ANI
Chicago, April 9 (ANI): The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in the U.S. has warned people to beware of an Internet scheme claiming the recipients had the chance to win a million dollars by entering a contest sponsored by The Oprah Winfrey Show.
The investigators have revealed that a spam e-mail titled ‘Oprah Millionaire Contest Show’ has been making rounds, saying that the recipient must pay to be on the show.
They say that the email also asks its receivers to pay for the transportation ticket to Chicago, and send the money to the sender, reports the Chicago Sun-Times.
Meanwhile, Oprah’s Harpo Productions has issued a statement on its Website, confirming that the scheme was a scam.
The statement read that the company and the show “are not sponsors nor do we have any involvement whatsoever with this e-mail solicitation.”
People were further reminded that the show tickets remained free, and no money should ever be paid for them. (ANI)
- Oprah Winfrey denies rumours she'll host Cairo show - Mar 05, 2011
- China no longer top source of spam mail - May 09, 2010
- Beware of Valentine's spam, warns IT security firm - Feb 13, 2012
- FBI warns about fake e-mails in Hawaii - Feb 10, 2010
- Malicious software links featuring bin-Laden's pics could be a virus: FBI - May 04, 2011
- Final 'Oprah Winfrey Show' to air on May 25 - Mar 26, 2011
- Wave of spams counter Facebook joy over Osama's death - May 03, 2011
- Reps for Winfrey issue warning over product list plan - Sep 21, 2010
- Computer virus targets Russian opposition - Mar 10, 2012
- FBI warns Internet users of Haiti relief scams - Jan 14, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey's secrets to be revealed - Mar 01, 2010
- Winfrey's company in legal battle over workout program - Mar 02, 2010
- ISI handler sought progress report on Mumbai terror plot - Jun 02, 2011
- Woman excuses herself from jury duty for Oprah show - Apr 28, 2011
- Oprah Winfrey's company sued over workout program - Feb 28, 2010
Tags: chicago sun times, e mail, email, fbi, federal bureau of investigation, harpo productions, internet scheme, investigation fbi, investigators, mail solicitation, million dollars, millionaire, money, oprah winfrey, receivers, recipient, spam, swindle, win a million