Oprah declares ‘No Phone Day’ to fight distracted drivingMay 1st, 2010 - 1:52 pm ICT by ANI
New York, May 1 (ANI): Oprah Winfrey has initiated a ‘No Phone Zone Day’ campaign against people who talk on the phone while driving.
Oprah in her special live episode will be seen circulating the message of no talking while driving.
She has invited drivers to observe national ‘No Phone Zone Day’ and to make every car a ‘No Phone Zone’.
Oprah has urged drivers to sign on an online pledge which tells them to drive responsibly and avoid using cell phones when driving, reports The New York Daily News.
“A call or text isn’t worth taking a life. We must not allow more mothers and fathers, daughters and sons, sisters and brothers to die before we take action against distracted driving,” Oprah said during the announcement of the initiative.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told ABC News he’s “proud” to participate in Winfrey’s initiative.
“We know that if we can get people to put away cell phones and other electronic devices when they are behind the wheel, we can save thousands of lives and prevent hundreds and thousands of injuries every year,” LaHood said. (ANI)
- US mulls banning phone use while driving - Jul 13, 2011
- Do Texting Bans Make Roads Less Safe? - Sep 29, 2010
- U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood, singer Jordin Sparks, Congressional and Allstate leaders urge Americans to stop texting and driving - Apr 27, 2010
- Texting kills 5,000 people every year in the US - May 20, 2012
- Transportation Secretary LaHood proposes regulations to stop distracted driving - May 18, 2010
- US govt considering tech that would disable cell phones in cars - Nov 30, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey Urges To Support No Phone Zone Day, Texas Embarks Upon It - May 03, 2010
- Obama administration puts limitation on mobile usage while driving - Oct 02, 2009
- Oprah Winfrey's 'No Phone Zone Day' creates a buzz in Texas - May 03, 2010
- Anticipating SMSes, calls too contribute to car crashes - Apr 30, 2012
- Oprah Winfrey's 'No Phone Zone Day' In Operation In Texas - May 03, 2010
- U.S. Department of Transportation to get $128 billion budget for 2012 - Feb 15, 2011
- Male drivers are twice as likely to crash because of distraction - Apr 18, 2011
- NY submits bill to make using a cellphone while driving primary offense - Feb 25, 2010
- US aviation chief resigns after drunk driving arrest - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: abc news, cell phones, daughters and sons, electronic devices, hundreds and thousands, initiative, may 1, mothers and fathers, new york daily news, oprah winfrey, phone zone, pledge, ray lahood, sisters and brothers, transportation secretary, wheel, york daily news