One in three Brit children think Winston Churchill was first man on moon!March 21st, 2008 - 3:44 pm ICT by admin
London, March 21 (ANI): Hes regarded as one of the best political leaders in world history, but more than 30 per cent of primary school children in Britain think that Winston Churchill was the first man to walk on the moon.
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment commissioned the survey in conjunction with the Royal Astronomical Society and found that Brit pupils confused the wartime Prime Minister with American astronaut Neil Armstrong, even though they are from different sides of the Atlantic and were born in different centuries.
The survey results of 1400 primary school aged children dont come as a surprise, for a previous study revealed that a quarter of Brit pupils thought Churchill was a fictional character.
The recent survey was on the topic of astronomy, and underlined that children are being failed by their science lessons.
The survey found that two in five of those questioned think Mars is just a chocolate bar, while a third believe Earth is not an official planet.
“It’s a bit of a worry to find that children don’t know who the first man on the moon is, let alone that they don’t know who led the country to victory in the Second World War, the Telegraph quoted Gavin Quirk, of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, as saying.
“And I think it is definitely time to get back to the classroom if our school children think of Mars firstly as a chocolate bar, he added. (ANI)
- UK radio series to highlight Churchill's unknown skills - Mar 14, 2011
- British kids carry knives to school - Sep 12, 2011
- Brand willing to shave his head to play Churchill - Apr 22, 2011
- Walt Disney, UTV to co-produce family films - May 19, 2011
- Churchill's dentures fetch 15,200 pounds - Jul 30, 2010
- B-wood remembers first man on moon - Aug 26, 2012
- Computer games making Brit kids fall asleep in school - Mar 09, 2011
- Disney India to distribute UTV titles through home entertainment - Jul 28, 2010
- Winston Churchill's dentures to be auctioned - Jul 29, 2010
- Beauty And The Beast: Diamond Edition On Blu-ray, DVDs And VCDs - Oct 19, 2010
- Churchill's last cigar to be auctioned - Nov 18, 2010
- Disney to ban junk food ads on programmes for kids - Jun 06, 2012
- Brit kids as young as 5 'being rushed to hospital after binge drinking' - Feb 22, 2011
- Disney Studios to cut five percent jobs - Jun 08, 2011
- O.M.G., it's almost 100 years old! - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: american astronaut, astronaut neil armstrong, chocolate bar, different sides, disney studios, fictional character, first man on moon, first man on the moon, first man to walk on the moon, london march, man on moon, man on the moon, neil armstrong, quirk, royal astronomical society, school aged children, science lessons, second world war, walt disney studios, winston churchill