On KBC’s Rs 5 cr winner’s wish list - the civil servicesOctober 28th, 2011 - 9:59 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 28 (IANS) From a monthly salary of Rs.6,000, Sushil Kumar has hit the jackpot by winning Rs.5 crore ($1 million) on the game show “Kaun Banega Crorepati 5″. He says he will now prepare for the civil services - something he had stopped dreaming about due to his financial situation earlier.
“Everything seems completely different. The feeling is yet to sink in. I had never thought I would be able to win Rs.5 crore,” Kumar, 27, told IANS on phone from Mumbai.
This was Kumar’s second attempt at making it to the hot seat which turned into a life-changing moment for him - he entered the show with the aim of winning Rs.2,500,000. He won 20 times that.
“I came to the show with the mindset that I would go back home with at least Rs.25,00,000 but by god’s grace I have won Rs.5 crore. Even after deducting the tax, I know I would get at least Rs.3.5 crore which is enough for me,” he said.
Before becoming a crorepati, Kumar, who hails from East Champaran in Bihar, used to work as a computer operator. So winning the game show is a big moment in his life.
“Ever since I have won, I am stormed with calls from family and friends and even from those whom I have rarely met. It’s a fabulous feeling. I didn’t prepare much for the show. I just had an idea of what could be asked and did a little preparation with whatever books I had,” he said.
Kumar, who is married, lives in a big joint family - he has five brothers, five nieces and a nephew.
“First of all, I would build my new house. Then my younger brother is working with a garment shop and earns merely Rs.1,500 per month. I would help him to start a new business so that he gets settled in life. I am also planning to help my elder brother to get a new shop,” he added.
An MA in psychology, Kumar wanted to appear for the civil services examination, but the financial crunch didn’t allow him to pursue his dreams.
“I had so many dreams, but my financial condition didn’t allow me to pursue them; hence I stopped dreaming. I got a job where I could earn Rs.6,000 per month and was satisfied as I had responsibilities over my shoulder.
“Now I have enough money to help my family as well as fulfil my dream. I am now planning to go to Delhi to prepare for the exam,” he added.
Asked about his family’s reaction, Kumar said: “Although it is Diwali, they are celebrating it like Holi. A lot of people are coming down to my house to congratulate my family.”
“There’s a perception that people from Bihar are not as well-versed as people of other states; so whenever somebody achieves something big, it becomes celebration time for everyone. Everybody is very proud of my achievement,” he added.
Kumar is all praise for host Amitabh Bachchan. “I was quite nervous when I made it to the hot seat, but his love and affection calmed me down and my nervousness vanished completely.”
(Priyanka Sharma can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Will get money, channel officials in touch: KBC winner - Dec 13, 2011
- After 'Jhalak...', Sushil Kumar says no to dance - Aug 05, 2012
- Bihar's Sushil Kumar first to win Rs.5 crore on KBC-5 - Oct 25, 2011
- After winning 'KBC' jackpot, Sushil building house for family - Jul 31, 2012
- For charity, all roads lead to KBC winner's house - Dec 06, 2011
- KBC winner awaits Rs.5 crore, Big B says cheque ready - Dec 13, 2011
- Life is beautiful, finds KBC winner's family - Nov 01, 2011
- 'KBC 5' ends, leaves behind poignant memories - Nov 18, 2011
- Family of KBC Rs.5 crore winner fears his abduction - Oct 30, 2011
- 'KBC 6' gets first crorepati in Kashmir's Manoj Raina (With Images) - Sep 08, 2012
- Small town India makes it big - via reality TV - Nov 03, 2011
- Amitabh proud of common man's Rs.5 crore win on KBC - Oct 26, 2011
- Gang of fraudsters busted, three arrested from UP - Sep 19, 2012
- Inflation? What's that, asks KBC's only woman crorepati - Nov 08, 2011
- After dream medal, marriage on cards for Yogeshwar (Lead, Combining London/Chandigarh stories) - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: bihar, champaran, computer operator, cr, elder brother, family and friends, financial crunch, financial situation, game show, garment, hot seat, jackpot, mindset, nephew, new business, New Delhi, nieces, rs 6, sushil kumar, winning the game