Olympic torch relay begins at Salt Lake City in ChinaJune 22nd, 2008 - 1:51 pm ICT by ANI
Golmud (China), June 22 (ANI): Thousands of residents from the city and neighbouring countries gathered on Salt Lake Square as the starting ceremony of Olympic torch relay began this morning here.
After a tribute of one-minute silence for the victims of May 12 earthquakes in Sichuan Province, which claimed over 69,000 lives, the ceremony began.
Qinghai Province party Chief Qiang Wei passed the torch to the first torchbearer Cega, a Tibetan man known as “Tibetan Antelope Guard” who spent more than ten years on anti-poaching in the nearby Hol Xil Nature Reserve.
“As the first torchbearer, I’m very proud and excited,” said Cega. “Wish the Beijing Olympics as a perfect game.”
The torch was then passed to a local private entrepreneur Liu Shengchun, whose company donated Kunlun Jade worth 36 million yuan to the Beijing Olympic organizers for making the Olympic medal.
A total of 171 torchbearers will run 7.5 kilometers in the city, which is famous for rising industry. (ANI)
- Olympic torch relay starts in China's Salt Lake city - Jun 22, 2008
- Tibetan antelope population rises in China reserve - Aug 10, 2012
- Chinese arrested after 17 years for murder - Dec 27, 2011
- Two Tibetans set themselves on fire in China - Jun 21, 2012
- Tibetan monk sets himself on fire in China - Feb 14, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Tibetan nun sets herself on fire in China, dies - Nov 03, 2011
- Chinese monks prevented from self-immolation - Sep 26, 2011
- Tibetan cartoon series to be shown on Chinese TV - Dec 03, 2011
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Earthquake blamed for rise in divorce cases in China - Nov 08, 2010
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- 26 missing after bus falls into China river (Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
- 27 missing after bus falls into China river - Jul 18, 2010
Tags: beijing olympics, earthquakes, golmud china, hol, minute silence, nature reserve, neighbouring countries, olympic medal, olympic organizers, olympic torch relay, party chief, perfect game, private entrepreneur, qiang wei, salt lake city, sichuan province, tibetan antelope, torchbearer, torchbearers, yuan