Old-time extras back on screen with ‘Mutton song’April 20th, 2011 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 20 (IANS) “Mutton song”, an item number from upcoming film “Luv Ka The End”, not only has the lead actor grooving to it, but the choreographer has also roped in old-time extras to shake a leg.
“The song is mad and the casting is special. Everyone is bringing remixes of old songs, but our choreographer for this song, Adil Sheikh, has brought back old back-up dancers. It was great working with them,” Ashish Patil, head of Y-Films, the youth division of Yash Raj Films told IANS.
Some of the dancers are Bulbul, who featured in “Laila o laila” in “Qurbani” as an African, and Deepak, who danced with Vaijantimala in the song “Honthon mein aesi baat” in “Jewel Thief”.
The song, which features Taaha Shah dressed in a ghagra-choli, dancing like a woman, has been composed by Ram Sampath, sung by Krishna Beura and has lyrics by Amitabh Bhattacharya.
“Krishna brings’s soul and spirit to the song. Mostly item songs become gimmics. At a superficial level it is also a gimmick, but it takes a great singer to sing it. I always use singers who can sing. I refuse to use singers who are doctored in the studios,” said Sampath, adding Krishna has warbled in five different voices for the song.
The song is basically a qawwali with a contemporary twist.
“Love Ka The End”, releasing May 6, is a romantic comedy starring Shakti Kapoor’s daughter Shraddha Kapoor along with Taaha. The movie has been directed by Bampi.
- 'Luv Ka The End' music targets youth (IANS Music Review) - Apr 24, 2011
- YRF launches Boney Kapoor's son Arjun with 'Virus Diwan' - Apr 01, 2011
- Return of the retro: Bollywood beats to remixed classics - Apr 14, 2011
- 'Freak Out' first Bollywood song to use stop-motion technique - Apr 14, 2011
- I'm not a rocket that'd be launched repeatedly: Shraddha Kapoor - Apr 06, 2011
- 'D.K. Bose' is clear winner in 'Delhi Belly' album (IANS Music Review) - May 29, 2011
- High heels in 'Delhi Belly', a nightmare for Vir Das - Jun 19, 2011
- Court declines to stay release of 'Chalo Dilli' - Apr 27, 2011
- 'Laila' wasn't for me: Sameera Reddy - Apr 21, 2012
- YRF launches new youth film studio Y-Films - Apr 01, 2011
- I wanted to reinvent use of music in films: Ram Sampath - Jun 17, 2011
- Big heroines don't need item numbers: Hema Malini - Jun 04, 2012
- Hariharan, Uthup pay musical tribute to Indian cinema - Jun 09, 2012
- Item songs are artistic, not vulgar: Nathalia - May 08, 2012
- When Farah danced to Geeta's tune - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: bhattacharya, bulbul, choreographer, deepak, different voices, gimmick, jewel thief, krishna, mutton, o laila, old songs, qawwali, qurbani, romantic comedy, sampath, shakti kapoor, soul and spirit, superficial level, upcoming film, yash raj films