Old Brahma temple named after JolieNovember 25th, 2010 - 1:10 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Nov 25 (IANS) A temple has been named in Cambodia after Hollywood actress Angelina Jolie.
“It’s a 12th century site called Ta Prohm; it is otherwise known as Old Brahma and was initially named Rajavihara or the royal monastery. Now it’s popularly called the Angelina Jolie Temple,” Imdb.com quoted Rajan Zed, the president of the Universal Society of Hinduism, as saying.
“It was said to be the setting for various scenes in the first ‘Tomb Raider’ film… Local restaurants sell ‘Tomb Raider’ cocktails and she appears to be the patron saint of Cambodia,” he added.
The actress has been urged to help maintain the ancient site.
“I’d urge Angelina Jolie to raise awareness about better preservation of this world heritage as more needs to be done to safeguard the temple complex and its surroundings, save it from vandalism and looting,” he said.
Jolie’s adopted son Maddox is from Cambodia.
- 'Angelina Jolie Temple' in world-famous Angkor temple complex in Cambodia? - Nov 24, 2010
- Jolie turned into comic book heroine - Nov 20, 2010
- China finances restoration of historic Shiva temple in Cambodia - Nov 29, 2010
- Indian scientists help save 131 trees in Cambodian temple (With images) - Jul 16, 2012
- 'Tomb Raider' inspired Jolie to adopt - Aug 23, 2011
- Jolie eager to play 'Sleeping Beauty' nemesis - Jul 13, 2010
- Jolie not planning for more kids - Jun 05, 2011
- Cambodia appeals Hindus for help to safeguard landmark Preah Vihear Shiva temple - Mar 05, 2011
- Comparisons with Jolie scare Zoe Saldana - Aug 27, 2011
- Angelina Jolie renews ties with dad - Feb 22, 2010
- 'Tomb Raider' back on big screen - Mar 09, 2011
- President Patil mesmerized by Angkor Wat, advocates cultural exchange - Sep 17, 2010
- Hindus upset at damage to landmark Hindu temple by Thai-Cambodian clashes - Feb 07, 2011
- Hindus ask ASEAN to save Shiva temple from further damage in Thai-Cambodia clash - Feb 08, 2011
- Four gopuras of landmark Shiva temple on Thai-Cambodia border damaged: Hindus concerned - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: 12th century, actress angelina, angelina jolie, brahma temple, cambodia, cocktails, hinduism, hollywood, hollywood actress, imdb, local restaurants, maddox, patron saint, royal monastery, surroundings, tomb raider film, universal society, urge, vandalism, world heritage