Obamas big gamble to appoint HillaryNovember 20th, 2008 - 12:13 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 20 (ANI): President elect Barack Obama is taking a big risk by giving his former adversary and opponent at Democratic primary, Hillary Clinton, whose foreign policy judgment he criticized, the most important job in his administration.
Hillary has more star power than Richard Holbrooke, more discipline than Bill Richardson, fewer bad jokes than John F. Kerry. Shes tough and competent. Shes a woman and a Democrat, making space for a Republican guy at Defense. It would get her out of the Senate, Politico reported.
But the sum of those parts seems something less than the whole explanation for Obamas first great presidential gamble: His move toward giving the most important Cabinet position in his administration to Hillary.
She brings so much to the table. On the other hand, there are the obvious downsides, the conflicts that that her husband has, said Abner Mikva, a former Clinton White House counsel and an Obama mentor.
Insiders around Obama say the X factor at play is Obamas icy tolerance for risk, and his belief in the power of the grand gesture.
Throughout his political career, Obama has had a tendency to go big, as his aides say, with dramatic moves and giant spectacles punctuating his run for president his head-on race speech, his presidential-style tour of the Middle East and Europe, an acceptance speech held in a football stadium.
Hes enlarging his own administration by bringing in one of the leading figures in American politics, and delivering on a promise of a new politics that doesnt play favorites or hold grudges.
It says that he has the personal confidence to engage someone of the notoriety and substance of Clinton. Implementing change is an exciting exercise, said Democratic Rep. Robert Wexler of Florida. (ANI)
- Beijing English teacher wants to buy Obama speeches - Jul 10, 2012
- Obama''s mentor says choosing Hillary Clinton very worrying - Nov 26, 2008
- Bill will be an asset to Hillary Clinton if she becomes Secretary of State - Nov 19, 2008
- Obama support slips; Hillary Clinton most popular - Sep 17, 2011
- Bob Woodward says Hillary Clinton as VP is 'on the table' - Oct 06, 2010
- Obama makes peace with Bill Clinton to improve his approval ratings - Jul 18, 2010
- Clinton evolves into Obama's `Mr. Fix It' - May 29, 2010
- Not running for president, Hilary Clinton reiterates - Oct 17, 2011
- Clinton, Morsi discuss US-Egypt relations - Jul 15, 2012
- Obama presidency proving to be 'Clinton's third term': Newt Gingrich - Jan 22, 2011
- Obama nominates ambassador to Myanmar - May 18, 2012
- Clinton ready to step off `high wire' of politics (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- US Democrat Geraldine passes away, aged 75 - Mar 27, 2011
- Hillary Clinton rules out ever running again for US President - Nov 22, 2010
- Terror leader offers camels to capture Obama, chickens for Hillary - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: abner mikva, acceptance speech, bad jokes, barack obama, cabinet position, clinton white, democratic rep, grand gesture, grudges, hillary clinton, implementing change, john f kerry, personal confidence, president elect, presidential style, rep robert wexler, richard holbrooke, robert wexler, style tour, x factor