Obama gets Hollywood backing at star-studded eventMay 12th, 2012 - 11:52 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, May 12 (IANS/EFE) Surrounded by Hollywood stars, President Barack Obama was the leading character in an exclusive fundraiser held at George Clooney’s California home, where he admitted that his re-election will be more complicated than his victory in 2008.
Some 150 people attended the event, including Salma Hayek, Billy Crystal, Robert Downey Jr., Barbra Streisand, Jack Black and Tobey Maguire, which racked up about $15 million for Democratic Party coffers, the Los Angeles Times said.
Obama’s support for same-sex marriage was one of the subjects most commented on and applauded during the dinner prepared by Wolfgang Puck, who was also the restauranteur at the Oscars gala, and there were jokes aplenty about how the president’s wrinkles and gray hairs contrasted with his youthful image of just four years ago.
“This is going to be harder than it was the last time - not only because I’m older and grayer and your ‘Hope’ posters are dog-eared,” the president said.
“(W)e’re going to have to fight against cynicism and a belief that maybe things can’t happen and maybe the game is rigged, what’s the point. That’s what we’re going to be fighting against this time,” he said.
Even so, Obama said the “bottom line is I still believe in the American people, and I still believe in you. And I hope you still believe in me”.
Despite it being an elitist event, the dinner was far from sumptuous and was served in a tent on the basketball court at Clooney’s home, where later the host, Obama, Maguire and others teamed up to play a friendly game.
Obama returns to Los Angeles June 6 to attend a number of fundraisers for the Democratic campaign, one of them organized by the city’s gay and lesbian community.
- Clooney to dine with lucky fans - Apr 21, 2012
- Obama donors can enter raffle for dinner with Eva Longoria - Dec 23, 2011
- DiCaprio, Maguire, Hardy to produce new film - Aug 29, 2012
- Jeff Bridges wins Golden Globe best actor award - Jan 18, 2010
- Clooney, girlfriend suffer food poisoning - Jul 07, 2012
- Affleck supports politician's campaign - May 24, 2012
- Singer Noel Schajris says he sees no sense in getting married - Aug 18, 2011
- George Clooney to get a special Emmy Award - Jul 22, 2010
- Kirsten Dunst backs Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone - Nov 18, 2010
- Jennifer Lopez to return as judge on American Idol - Aug 11, 2011
- Gaga worships Madonna - Jul 06, 2011
- Hollywood stars' growing criticism of Obama - Dec 17, 2010
- Angelina Jolie to be part of Almodovar's film - Jan 16, 2012
- Elvis Crespo releases new album - May 02, 2012
- Obama remembers Donna Summer - May 20, 2012
Tags: barack obama, barbra streisand, basketball court, billy crystal, democratic campaign, democratic party coffers, george clooney, gray hairs, hollywood stars, hope posters, lesbian community, los angeles times, restauranteur, robert downey, robert downey jr, salma hayek, same sex marriage, tobey maguire, wolfgang puck, youthful image