Obama documentary by South African Indian to air in USMay 16th, 2009 - 9:26 am ICT by IANS
By Fakir Hassen
Johannesburg, May 16 (IANS) A documentary film by South African Indian producer Anant Singh on Barack Obama’s road to becoming the first black person to occupy the White House will air on American television.
“It certainly is a coup for us as a South African company that produced this amazing account of President Obama’s campaign,” said Singh, whose company Video Vision has won international acclaim for a number of its productions.
“We are thrilled that the Ion Television Network will be broadcasting ‘Barack Obama: People’s President’ in the US this Sunday. It is also significant that it will be broadcast on the 55th anniversary of the United States Supreme Court ruling on the desegregation of schools, a decision which changed America and impacted on race relations and the education system in the United States.”
“Barack Obama: People’s President” went where the major television networks did not go - inside the organising effort of a political leader who was himself a masterful and experienced community organiser.
The film shows how President Obama’s campaign mantra of “Yes We Can” became “Yes We Did”, astonished Americans and excited world opinion. It tells how he inspired and organised millions of new voters to support him, and how brilliantly the internet was used as a communications and networking tool as part of the campaign.
“Barack Obama: People’s President” also goes inside the grassroots campaign and speaks with activists, journalists and political leaders like former US presidential candidate, Rev. Jesse Jackson, South Africa’s Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela’s co-accused Ahmed Kathrada, who took Obama to Robben Island prison of the apartheid era.
- South African Indian filmmaker to produce Obama documentary - Jan 17, 2009
- India has the will to bring change: Desmond Tutu - Feb 09, 2012
- Delhi toasts spirit of Nelson Mandela - Jul 18, 2011
- South Africa found it inconvenient to grant visa: Dalai Lama (Lead) - Oct 07, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi felicitates South African freedom fighter - Aug 22, 2009
- Dalai Lama to meet Tutu - from a distance - Oct 07, 2011
- Tutu calls for end to child marriages in Bihar - Feb 08, 2012
- India gives $200,000 to South African struggle veteran's outfit - Aug 16, 2009
- Tutu asks people to embrace African culture, stop criticising vuvuzela horns - Jun 16, 2010
- Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital - Jan 27, 2011
- Ahead of Mandela Day, South African Indian veterans recall struggle - Jul 17, 2009
- Mandela brought World Cup to South Africa - Jun 10, 2010
- Dalai Lama to meet Desmond Tutu - Feb 09, 2012
- Dalai Lama is not a separatist, Archbishop Tutu tells China - Feb 10, 2012
- Desmond Tutu to retire, drink redbush tea and watch cricket - Jul 23, 2010
Tags: american television, anant singh, barack obama, campaign mantra, candidate rev, desegregation of schools, desmond tutu, documentary film, ion television, ion television network, island prison, kathrada, major television networks, nelson mandela, networking tool, rev jesse jackson, states supreme court, supreme court ruling, united states supreme court, video vision