Nude bust of Stephanie Seymour to go under the hammerOctober 15th, 2010 - 6:02 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Oct 15 (ANI): A nude bust of Stephanie Seymour, which was produced in edition of three, is about to be auctioned off to the highest bidder.
The sculpture, by smart-ass Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, which depicts Seymour as the ultimate trophy wife, graces the cover of Phillips de Pury & Company’s Nov. 8 “Carte Blanche” art sale catalogue, which was organized by dealer Philippe galot and clearly designed for maximum publicity.
Some art insiders speculate the decision was made when the model was still battling Brant in divorce court over his allegedly controlling ways.
The couple unexpectedly reconciled last month, but if Seymour’s claims were valid, Brant can’t be happy about the catalogue, which is for sale to anyone with 38.11 dollars.
The sculpture, which depicts Seymour as the figurehead of a ship, naked and cupping her breasts, adorns the cover and gets big play inside.
Ironically, Brant commissioned the artwork in 2003. He or his foundation still owns the sculpture, but Cattelan produced “Stephanie” in an edition of three. One of those works is going on the block, and it’s estimated it will fetch more than 1.5 million dollars, reports the New York Daily News.
In the catalogue, a 2003 essay by Massimiliano Gioni suggests “Cattelan may have been having fun at his commissioner’s expense.”
He adds, “Cattelan’s last nip at the hand that feeds him, the editioning of ‘Stephanie’ served as a gentle reminder that though Brant had bagged his trophy wife,” he was “obliged to share her” with “the public at large” and “other collectors.”
A source close to Brant and Seymour said, “They were well aware that there was more than one piece being made when they commissioned the artwork.”(ANI)
- Peter Brant, Stephanie Seymour looking for new house? - Sep 22, 2010
- Pink Panther sculpture expected to sell for $30m - Mar 12, 2011
- Stephanie Seymour Along With Husband Peter Brant Calls Off Their Divorce Proceedings - Sep 21, 2010
- Bring a slice of Rodin's legacy home - for Rs.6 lakh - Feb 02, 2011
- Stephanie Seymour Decides To Save Her Marriage - Sep 21, 2010
- Stephanie Seymour misses drug tests - Jun 29, 2010
- Stephanie Seymour's rocking body continues to withstand the test of time - Mar 20, 2011
- Chennai students use sand sculptures to honour Indian World Cup squad - Feb 22, 2011
- London art fair to highlight Husain's work - Feb 16, 2011
- Stephanie Seymour Poses Nude For The December Issue OF Vanity Fair - Nov 07, 2009
- 'Bacon Kevin Bacon' bust up for auction on eBay - Oct 03, 2010
- Stephanie Seymour's Amorous Images With Son Still Making Headlines - Jan 13, 2011
- India becoming market for high end European art (With Images) - Apr 30, 2012
- Tata Nano gets pop art cover - Jan 20, 2011
- Strangely Intimate Photos Released of Stephanie Seymour and Her Son - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: amp company, carte blanche, cattelan, divorce court, figurehead, galot, gentle reminder, graces, highest bidder, insiders, ironically, italian artist, maximum publicity, new york daily news, nip, phillips de pury, smart ass, stephanie seymour, trophy wife, york daily news