NTR film award for Waheeda RehmanMarch 31st, 2008 - 11:43 pm ICT by admin
Hyderabad, March 31 (IANS) Veteran film actress Waheeda Rehman has been chosen for the NTR National Film Award for her contribution to the film industry. The award named after popular Telugu actor and former Andhra Pradesh chief minister N.T. Rama Rao, popularly known as NTR, carries a cash award of Rs.500,000 and a citation.
A three-member award committee comprising K.B. Tilak, Jayasudha and Suryanarayana Monday announced Waheeda Rehman’s name for the award.
Born in Hyderabad May 14, 1936, she started her career with Telugu film “Jaisimha” in 1955, followed by “Rojulu Maraayi”.
She later moved to Hindi film industry and became very popular. She acted in Hindi films like “Pyassa”, “Kagaz Ke Phool”, “Chaudavin Ka Chand”, “Sahib Bibi Aur Gulam”, “Guide” and “Neel Kamal”.
She won the Filmfare best actress awards twice for her performances in “Guide” and “Neel Kamal” and received the lifetime achievement award in 1994.
Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy and Minister for Information and Public Relation Anam Ramnarayan Reddy congratulated Waheeda for being chosen for the NTR award.
The NTR award was instituted in 1996 and its recipients so far include veteran actors like Akkineni Nageswara Rao, Shivaji Ganeshan, Dilip Kumar, Raj Kumar and melody queen Lata Mangeshkar. The state government had discontinued the award in 2002. After a gap of four years, the awards were announced last year.
NTR, a popular Telugu film actor, had joined politics by launching Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in early 1980s. He came to power within nine months of floating the party. He died in 1996.
- Waheeda Rahman gets Padma Bhushan - Jan 25, 2011
- Junior NTR ties the knot with Naidu's relative - May 06, 2011
- Police begin investigations against Nagarjuna - Oct 02, 2011
- I'll remain with TDP till my last breath: Junior NTR - Jul 09, 2012
- Chiranjeevi's son engaged - Dec 02, 2011
- K. Balachander Honoured With Akkineni Nageswara Rao Award 2010 - Jan 13, 2011
- NTR's son to soon enter active politics - Jul 14, 2012
- Tributes paid to NTR on birth anniversary - May 28, 2011
- Divided family pays tributes to NTR - Jan 18, 2012
- 'Sri Rama Rajyam' a must watch (Telugu Movie Review) - Nov 20, 2011
- Suspended TDP lawmaker hits back at Naidu - Jul 11, 2012
- D. Ramanaidu to get Dada Saheb Phalke Award - Sep 09, 2010
- Pride Of Telugu Cinema, Nageshwara Rao Gets Padma Vibhushan - Jan 26, 2011
- NTR's actor son ready to contest elections - Sep 11, 2011
- Former Andhra minister Mohan Reddy dies - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: actress awards, andhra pradesh chief, best actress, dilip kumar, film actress, gulam, hindi films, jayasudha, kagaz ke phool, lata mangeshkar, lifetime achievement award, melody queen, member award, nageswara rao, neel kamal, suryanarayana, telugu actor, veteran actors, veteran film, waheeda rehman