NSD pays tribute to Vijay Tendulkar in theatre festivalMay 31st, 2008 - 8:35 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 31 (IANS) Paying tribute to noted playwright, late Vijay Tendulkar, and staging some of their most loved productions, the National School of Drama’s (NSD) ongoing repertory summer festival is a treat for theatre aficionados in the city. “Our summer theatre festival is an annual affair in which we stage some of our best productions, on popular public demand. This year we are dedicating the festival to noted playwright, late Vijay Tendulkar,” said an official of NSD.
The festival that started May 27 will conclude June 23.
“Some of the plays which will be staged are Prasanna’s Acharya ‘Tartuffe’, Nadira Babbar’s ‘1857: Ek Safarnama’ and M.K. Raina’s ‘Banbhatt ki Atmakatha’,” the official added.
“Kafka”, “Ram Nam Satya Hai” and “Uttarramcharitamanas” are some of the other plays which will be staged.
Saving the best for the last, Tendulkar’s “Ghasiram Kotwal” will be staged on the last four days of the festival, with two shows each day.
“‘Ghasiram Kotwal’ is such a play that no matter when or where it is staged, it’s bound to draw a huge audience. People simply can’t get over it and there are many who have watched the play many times over.
“Since this time this festival is a dedication to Tendulkar, we hope that the play will draw an even bigger crowd,” the official added.
Directed by Rajinder Nath, “Ghasiram Kotwal” is acclaimed internationally for its innovative content and presentation. It had raised a lot of controversy over the depiction of the historical character, Nana Phadnavis, a revered statesman during the Peshwa rule in Maharashtra.
A Manipuri version of the same play directed by Kshetri Jugindro was staged in NSD’s Bharat Rang Mahotsav early this year.
- Delhi gears up for mega winter theatre festival (With Image) - Jan 04, 2011
- National School of Drama's annual theatre festival begins - Jan 08, 2011
- Satyadev Dubey's theatre brought fierce Indianness to stage (Obituary) - Dec 25, 2011
- Regional theatre sets stage for Games - Sep 09, 2010
- Feast on regional theatre, thanks to Games(Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- Spotlight on theatre music at NSD's annual fest - Jan 02, 2010
- New content, support set stage for theatre's resurgence (March 27 is World Theatre Day) - Mar 26, 2011
- Selja assures more funds for theatre (With Image) - Jan 09, 2012
- Waiting for change: Play talks of contemporary Pakistan - Jan 19, 2012
- Tagore reinterpreted at NSD's Bharat Rang Mahotsav - Jan 03, 2012
- Indian theatre music takes in more from the world - Jan 08, 2010
- Ibsen thrives among Indian college-goers - Sep 17, 2010
- Mahindra ups corporate support to Indian theatre - Feb 27, 2011
- Norwegian master Ibsen comes in Indian folk format - Nov 19, 2010
- Theatre in India driven to desperate survival measures - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: acharya, bharat, controversy, dedication, depiction, ek, june 23, kafka, nadira babbar, nana, national school of drama, New Delhi, playwright, prasanna, raina, repertory, satya, statesman, tartuffe, vijay tendulkar