Now, talent hunt for disc jockeysSeptember 11th, 2010 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 11 (IANS) After the small screen saw an upsurge in the number of talent hunt shows searching for singers, actors, dancers and even comedians, MTV VJ and DJ Nikhil Chinappa has taken up the responsibility to bring forth the most talented disc jockeys of the country.
Budding DJs from Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Kolkata are battling it out to become the hottest DJ in the country through “Burn MTV Ultimate DJ Championship - A Submerge Property”.
“There are some immensely talented people in this field whose talent is waiting to be recognised. We ourselves have groomed so many people and they have been doing pretty well. But we realised that there are many more such people across the country so why not start a contest for this,” Nikhil told IANS.
“All the contestants we have seen so far have taken us by surprise. They are so serious and so interested. Their sheer dedication and high quality talent make them different from one another,” Nikhil added.
Sixty contestants were chosen from four metros, 15 from each metro. Four contestants will be shortlisted from the 60 and will battle it out in the finale Sep 19 in Bangalore.
Renowned British trance band Above & Beyond will be the special guest. The winner will become the official Submerge & MTV resident DJ for one year and will also get an opportunity to play at summer UK festival in 2011.
The hunt is spearheaded by Nikhil, who is the founder of Submerge Entertainment Private Limited, an events and artists management company.
Although Nikhil admits that there have been such contests happening he says none of these could be called “genuine”.
“We have heard that there are many such contests happening but the parameters of judging are not entirely correct because people sitting on the judge’s panel don’t know much about the profession,” he added.
Besides Nikhil, the judges’ panel includes his wife DJ Pearl, DJ Tuhin Mehta, DJ Arjun Vagale, DJ Asad and DJ Sanjay Datta.
The show will be aired on MTV.
- Want to be a DJ? Here's how! - Oct 13, 2010
- Bappi Lahiri to judge DJ hunt - Sep 19, 2012
- Disc jockeying - Rajeev Khandelwal's new passion - Oct 10, 2011
- DJ Fatboy Slim enthralls Gurgaon - May 06, 2012
- TV is my first love: Malaika Arora Khan - Sep 18, 2012
- Goa has no ear for Bollywood music - Nov 07, 2010
- Rock on as MTV hunts for a new band - Jul 02, 2009
- Frisky Radio Celebrates Electronic Music From India - Jun 07, 2010
- Shekhar, Sonali, Kirron to continue tryst with India's Got Talent - Apr 27, 2010
- Fatboy Slim comes to India, promises phenomenal evening - Apr 29, 2012
- Travel shows get makeover in India: Gaurav Kapoor (With Image) - Feb 08, 2012
- Cowell teams up with Pinkett-Smith for TV show - Jan 27, 2012
- 'India's Got Talent' Second Season To Launch Tonight At 9pm On Colors - Jul 30, 2010
- It's time to 'Rock On' - Aug 28, 2009
- Cowell to launch cookery show - Jan 29, 2012
Tags: arjun, artists management, asad, bangalore, comedians, disc jockeys, judges panel, kolkata, management company, mehta, metros, mtv, mtv vj, nikhil chinappa, quality talent, resident dj, sanjay, sep 11, sheer dedication, talent hunt