Now a ‘Gladiator’ sequel in the pipelineMay 10th, 2009 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 10 (IANS) Fans of Ridley Scott’s Oscar-nominated “Gladiator” just might have a visual treat if a sequel to the hit, written by musician Nick Cave gets a nod by Hollywood bosses.
Cave was asked to write the screenplay at the request of Scott and star Russell Crowe but the idea was eventually scrapped after the film’s studio decided it was too hard to follow on from the first film, in which Crowe’s character, Maximus, dies, reports themirror.co.uk.
In Cave’s script, however, Maximus is reincarnated by Roman gods and he goes on to become the saviour of early Christians.
Scott, on the other hand, has not rejected Cave’s version for the sequel to the 200 film.
“We tried [to go with Cave's script]. Russell didn’t want to let it go, obviously, because it worked very well…When I say ‘worked very well’, I don’t refer to success. I mean, as a piece it works very well. Storytelling, [it] works brilliantly,” said Scott.
“I think [Cave] enjoyed doing it, and I think it was one of those things that he thought, Well, maybe there’s a sequel where we can adjust the fantasy and bring [Maximus] back from the dead,” he added.
Cave’s script has also been described by a blogger as “one of the most amazing, out-of-left-field screenplays I have ever read”.
- Russell Crowe's new film touted as the "ultimate" Robin Hood film - Dec 02, 2009
- Russell Crowe to star in kung fu movie - Sep 15, 2010
- Russell Crowe Starer "Robin Hood" Trailer Is Out - Dec 16, 2009
- Ridley Scott to miss Cannes screening of Robin Hood - May 11, 2010
- Ridley Scott wants 'Robin Hood' sequel - May 02, 2010
- 'Robin Hood' leaves you wanting for more (IANS Movie Review) - Jun 11, 2010
- "Robin Hood" Fails To Impress - May 16, 2010
- Russell Crowe's 'Robin Hood' opens the Cannes Film Festival - May 12, 2010
- Russell Crowe buys film crew worker new car - Jul 20, 2009
- Playing Robin Hood made me feel 20 years young: Russell Crowe - Apr 28, 2010
- Russell Crowe lands Hollywood star - Mar 30, 2010
- Crowe nearly quit 'Robin Hood' over script issues - Apr 06, 2010
- Ford to do cameo in 'Blade Runner' sequel? - May 29, 2012
- Russell Crowe nearly pulled out of Robin Hood - Apr 08, 2010
- How Russell Crowe snared Cate Blanchett for Robin Hood role - May 06, 2010
Tags: blogger, early christians, fantasy, gladiator, hollywood, london, musician, nick cave, nod, pipeline, ridley scott, roman gods, russell crowe, saviour, screenplay, sequel, star russell crowe, storytelling