Noted Bollywood Lyricist Verma Malik Passes away peacefullyMarch 18th, 2009 - 10:34 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Bollywood loses lyricist Verma Malik of popular songs of the 1970s & 1980s. He passed away peacefully on Sunday evening at his residence in Juhu.
Siddharth Tiwari, a close family friend said that lyricist Verma Malikji had written the lyrics for many popular songs in the 1970s and the 1980s, was born on April 13, 1925 in Ferozepur, Pakistan.
He had penned Aaj meri Yaar ki Shaadi Hai, which is still popular and a marriage anthem today, besides Yashoda Na Nandla. He has also penned Hai hai yeh majboori from Roti Kapda aur Makaan (1974), Do bechaare from Victoria No. 203 (1972), Tere sang pyaar mein from Nagin (1976), Ek taara bole from Yaadagar (1970), Kaan mein jhumka chaal mein thumka from Saawan Bhadon (1970) that were classics and immensely likable and popular.
He had also receivedTwo filmfare awards for Pehchan and Be-imaan
He adds that Malikji first began writing by penning bhajans. He was also an active freedom fighter and wrote many patriotic songs. After partition, Malikji moved to India and began writing songs for Punjabi films. Actor Director Manoj Kumar gave him the first break when he wrote Ek Tara Bole for Yaadgar, which was a great hit and had Bollywood noticing him. And since then there was no looking back as he went on creating some of the most memorable classics that fans even hum today.
His close friend music director Pyarelal of the Laxmikant-Pyarelal duo reminisces that he was sorry to hear about Malikji passing away. He was a simple man, a calm person, happy and proud of his work he had done. He was unique in a way that he could blend shayari and folk songs very well. Bollywood is very grateful for his contribution to Indian cinema. -Sampurn Media
- Sunidhi and I are getting married in April: Hitesh Sonik - Mar 14, 2012
- Sonu Nigam, Pyarelal recreate 1960s magic - Sep 23, 2011
- Popular Hindi songs, now titles of TV shows - Jan 04, 2012
- 'Tum mujhe yun bhula na paoge': Shammi Kapoor's filmography - Aug 14, 2011
- Lyricists on song: Bollywood's unsung wordsmiths (First of a series by IANS on Bollywood's behind-the-scenes people) - Mar 23, 2011
- Now, a song to wipe out corruption - Dec 28, 2011
- Rajesh Khanna's evergreen songs - Jul 18, 2012
- Shaan brings Kishore Kumar's melodies alive - Mar 26, 2012
- Instrumental tunes save 'Joker' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Aug 06, 2012
- 'Raaz 3' soundtrack gloomy, not up to mark (IANS music review) - Aug 17, 2012
- Prasoon favours meaningful songs over brash lyrics - Jan 16, 2012
- Rawness core of 'Vicky Donor' music album (IANS Music Review) - Apr 11, 2012
- Kishore's unreleased song to be unveiled on death anniversary - Oct 10, 2010
- Maharashtra's 'Lata Mangeshkar Award' for composer Anandji - Aug 30, 2012
- 'Jiyo utho...' targets young generation: CWG lyricist Mehboob - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: bhajans, bole, family friend, ferozepur, filmfare awards, first break, freedom fighter, indian cinema, laxmikant pyarelal, lyricist, nagin, patriotic songs, pehchan, shayari, siddharth, simple man, victoria no 203, writing songs, yaar, yashoda