Northeast is reservoir of talent but needs more respect: Jahnu BaruaMarch 5th, 2008 - 8:44 am ICT by admin
By Shweta Thakur
New Delhi, March 5 (IANS) The northeast is a reservoir of talent but it hurts when people consider the region different from India, says noted Assamese filmmaker Jahnu Barua. Barua, who shot to fame in Bollywood with “Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara” (2005) and has won many awards, feels that northeastern India is a reservoir of talent but it has not been given due recognition because the region suffers from a sense of geographical and social alienation.
He is “hurt” that many people do not consider the northeast as a part of India.
“I strongly feel the northeast is a reservoir of talent. For example, in the television music talent hunt reality shows contestants from our region do well. And the nation must realise that they (participants) reach there because of their talent, not favouritism. I want the rest of the country to cherish it, but respect for the region is lacking,” Barua told IANS.
Barua holds the local residents equally responsible. “Talents from the region are not being recognised. To a certain extent, we (northeast residents) are also responsible for it because we don’t remind them about our potential.
“However, it hurts when people consider it different from India. For instance, once when I checked into the Udaipur Lake Palace (hotel), they asked for my passport…that hurt,” the director said.
Barua, who shot a part of his upcoming film “Har Pal” in Shillong, is proud that he belongs to the northeast.
“I make it a point to tell people in Bollywood that I belong to the northeast. I am very happy that I have shot a part of my next film in Shillong. The female lead (Preity Zinta) belongs to the region,” Barua said.
The filmmaker is known for making humane statements in cinematic texts and all his movies are committed to social causes.
Barua’s Assamese movie “Banani” (forest), a telling comment on the environment, was voted the best green movie in 1990 and his “Hkagoroloi Bahu Door” (Hkagoroloi Is far away) won him the best director’s award in 1995 and 15 international prizes, including the World Peace Prize at the Chicago International Film Festival.
He has stuck to his causes since he migrated to Bollywood in 2005. But at the moment he is upset with rumours that Preity Zinta and Shiney Ahuja, the lead pair of “Har Pal”, are not getting along well.
Barua says he has no clue how he will repair the damage. “I am the director and who knows the reality better than me? Nothing of that sort has happened.”
“It is quite unethical to cook up stories. I don’t know who is doing that. It is in bad taste not only for the industry but also for the film and the actors involved. I don’t know how to repair the damage,” he said.
He, however, refused to divulge any details about the movie.
(Shweta Thakur can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- National Award winning films need better platform: Jahnu Barua - Nov 25, 2009
- Salman not returning any favours: Preity - Sep 07, 2012
- Victor Banerjee upset with National Awards jury - Mar 19, 2012
- Shiney hopes to shine again after 'Ghost' - Nov 28, 2011
- Will be back in business with lots of movies: Preity Zinta - Jan 05, 2010
- Salman rocks in 'Kudiye di kurti' with Preity (With Images) - Sep 04, 2012
- Can't think 'Mr.India 2' without Amrish Puri: Shekhar Kapur (Movie Snippets) - Jun 23, 2012
- Preity finds her junior version (Movie Snippets) - Jun 28, 2012
- Nikhil Advani to make next film with seven beauties - Apr 06, 2012
- Court notice to government over Assamese film - Apr 18, 2012
- Preity feels thinnest, loses 10 kg in two years - Sep 01, 2012
- 'Preity Zinta is a businesswoman in her head' - Sep 14, 2012
- 'Har Pal' set for summer release, Preity ready to promote it - Jan 16, 2012
- Manish Malhotra to open Delhi Couture week - Jul 12, 2012
- Preity Zinta to be brand ambassador of Himachal tourism - Nov 30, 2010
Tags: banthakur, bollywood, due recognition, gandhi, har, jahnu barua, maine gandhi ko nahin mara, music talent, New Delhi, northeastern india, palace hotel, preity zinta, shillong, shweta, social alienation, talent hunt, television music, udaipur lake palace, upcoming film