No Oz buyers for Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin’s bronze statueApril 9th, 2009 - 2:40 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Apr 9 (ANI): Late Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin’s bronze statue has failed to interest any buyers in Australia, and it now seems fated to be sold off overseas.
The statue, made by controversial sculptor Mitch Mitchell, will now be offered to Oprah Winfrey and the Discovery Channel to see whether they are interested in buying it.
Mitchell, who is at the centre of an Easter row over his sculpture of a naked young woman on a crucifix, was left bewildered by the lack of Aussie interest in the statue.
“He’s a Melburnian and he’s the most famous Australian there’s probably ever been,” News.com.au quoted him as saying.
“It should stay in Melbourne. It’s the place of his birth and he deserves to be honoured, but nobody here wants to buy it,” he said.
The 2m clay sculpture, priced at 85,000 dollars, is currently stored at a Richmond studio. It shows Irwin crouching in his trademark khakis and holding a small crocodile.
Mitchell, who is waiting to find a buyer before he does the finishing touches, and cast the statue in bronze, had hoped that Moonee Ponds, where Irwin spent the first eight years of his life, would buy it.
However, Moonee Valley Council rejected the statue last year.
Graeme Smith, who helped Mitchell sell statues, including Don Bradman, said that he spent 12 months trying to find a buyer for the Irwin sculpture.
“It’s unbelievable. I’m bewildered with the lack of enterprise shown. If you put that in a central position, the tourism, particularly from Japan and America, would be huge,” he said.
“We’re talking millions of people. It could be very enterprising and educational,” he added.
Smith said he was negotiating with overseas interests, including Harpo Studios, owned by Irwin fan Oprah Winfrey, but he would prefer the statue stayed in a prominent Melbourne location. (ANI)
- Oprah Winfrey offered to buy Steve Irwin statue - Apr 10, 2009
- Oz store removes golliwogs from display to avoid offending Oprah - Dec 09, 2010
- Jenny McCarthy: Dating Jason Toohey, Writes Racy Romance - Oct 19, 2010
- Oprah's shows or the Ashes - what will you watch? - Jan 17, 2011
- Final 'Oprah Winfrey Show' to air on May 25 - Mar 26, 2011
- Reps for Winfrey issue warning over product list plan - Sep 21, 2010
- Shane Warne's bronze statue unveiled outside hallowed MCG - Dec 22, 2011
- Oprah Winfrey denies rumours she'll host Cairo show - Mar 05, 2011
- India becoming market for high end European art (With Images) - Apr 30, 2012
- Mark Burnett To Produce A Daytime Talk Show For Oprah's OWN - Sep 22, 2010
- Discover India with Oprah Winfrey in two-part series - Jul 11, 2012
- Jenny McCarthy to replace Oprah? - Jun 14, 2010
- Winfrey being sued with trademark infringement - Aug 01, 2011
- Baby almost born on Oprah Winfrey show! - Feb 06, 2010
- Australian Tourism Industry Will Have An Exposure By Oprah Winfrey's Trip, Says Andrew McEvoy - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: bronze statue, central position, clay sculpture, crocodile, crocodile hunter steve, crocodile hunter steve irwin, crucifix, discovery channel, don bradman, finishing touches, graeme smith, harpo studios, khakis, mitch mitchell, moonee ponds, news com au, oprah winfrey, overseas interests, sculptor, statues