No love lost between Mariane Pearl and the Wall Street JournalNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:34 am ICT by admin
“I think the Wall Street Journal has one person covering Africa. Celebrities are doing the work that journalists are not. We can’t afford to be cynical about that,” the New York Post quoted her, as telling the reporter.
However, a source revealed that lack of respect between the author and the paper was mutual.
The source added that the publication had done its best to help Pearl financially and otherwise, but she was never satisfied with the support.
“There is no love for Mariane at the Journal. After Danny was killed [by Islamic terrorists in Pakistan in 2002], the Journal went above and beyond. It helped set up the Daniel Pearl Foundation. It made sure Mariane and [their son] Adam were taken care - financially and otherwise - but it was never enough for Mariane,” the source said.
“The Journal would buy $50,000 worth of tables at benefits, but she would want more,” our source said. “Every time any organization wanted to honour Danny, she would insist the Journal buy a table at the event.
“When the Journal declined - because it was expensive and they couldn’t take part in every single event - she would get angry and say the Journal didn’t support her or Danny’s memory. It was insane. She is obsessed with this image and persona she has constructed of herself after Danny’s death,” the source added.
A rep for the Wall Street Journal declined to comment. (ANI)
- Murdered Daniel Pearl's dad says 9/11 mosque should be built elsewhere - Aug 27, 2010
- Daniel Pearl Freedom Of Press Act To Be Signed Today As Law - May 17, 2010
- New Details Revealed in Daniel Pearl Murder - Jan 21, 2011
- Pak authorities 'knowingly relied on perjured testimony' to convict Daniel Pearl's killers - Jan 20, 2011
- 'Wall Street' - how greed is legal in troubled times (IANS Film Review; Rating:***1/2) - Sep 25, 2010
- 13/7 blasts: Police remand of four accused extended - Feb 18, 2012
- 13/7 Mumbai blasts: Police remand of three extended - Feb 10, 2012
- Facebook to be valued at over $100 bn in 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Upma dish wins Indian-American chef $100,000 top prize - Jun 17, 2011
- Amazon planning an e-book rental service - Sep 13, 2011
- US official warns against perils of 'financial crisis amnesia' - Mar 03, 2012
- Former Russian spies wanted kids to become same: WSJ - Jul 27, 2012
- Mom jailed for 30 years for killing two kids - Jul 05, 2012
- Today's young male 'continues to act like 'man-child' well into adulthood' - Feb 22, 2011
- MySpace all set to have massive layoffs - Jan 05, 2011
Tags: cynical, daniel pearl, financially, honour, islamic terrorists, journalists, lack of respect, mariane pearl, new york post, obsessed, one person, pearl foundation, reporting standards, son adam, taken care, wall street journal