No grace in dance today: Saroj KhanJune 1st, 2012 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 1 (IANS) When most of filmdom is raving about positive changes in Indian cinema, choreographer Saroj Khan begs to differ and rues that the quality of dance has gone down in movies.
“I think dance has changed a lot. Nowadays, there are only beats. There is no grace left in dance. We see only acrobatics today. This is successful because we are in the habit of copying the West. We just can’t leave it,” she said.
“We don’t think about our own culture. If we learn from our own culture, it will be very tough. I feel that dance is going down,” she added.
She blames item numbers for the downfall.
“Now so many item numbers have come up. Earlier, people used to appreciate Helen. She had grace and elegance. Now everyone is ready to remove their clothes,” she said.
She was speaking Friday at the inauguration of Cinema 100, a festival organised by the students of Subhash Ghai’s Whistling Woods International to celebrate hundred years of Indain movies.
Saroj Khan, who worked with dancing divas like Sridevi and Madhuri, seems to be impressed with Sonakshi Sinha whom she trained for director Prabhu Deva’s film “Rowdy Rathore”.
“Sonakshi did everything that I asked her to do and Prabhu Deva approved it. She is very graceful,” she said.
- After action, Prabhu Deva wants to direct horror movie - May 18, 2012
- 'Go go Govinda' different from item numbers: Sonakshi - Aug 04, 2012
- 'Rowdy Rathore' - action with no gore, but doesn't bore (IANS Movie Review) - Jun 02, 2012
- Prabhu Deva steals show at trailer launch of 'Rowdy Rathore' - Apr 03, 2012
- If presented decently, Sonakshi game for item songs - May 29, 2012
- Prabhu Deva's sons not allowed to party with SRK - May 30, 2012
- Sonakshi, Prabhu Deva make special appearance in 'Oh My God' - Jul 29, 2012
- Handmade posters to make comeback with 'Rowdy Rathod' - Oct 24, 2011
- Prabhu Deva dance steps not easy, says Akshay - Apr 11, 2012
- Censor beeps dialogue in 'Rowdy Rathore' trailer - Apr 03, 2012
- Potboilers' successful run has continued: Sanjay Leela Bhansali - Jun 11, 2012
- 'Rowdy Rathore' earns Rs.15.10 crore on opening day - Jun 02, 2012
- Sonakshi guarded about 'Rowdy Rathore' sequel - Jun 23, 2012
- Low profile was not intentional, says Sonakshi - May 24, 2012
- 'Rowdy Rathore' team parties, crossing Rs.100 cr mark - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: acrobatics, beats, choreographer, divas, downfall, elegance, filmdom, habit, hundred years, inauguration, indain movies, indian cinema, mumbai, positive changes, prabhu deva, saroj khan, sinha, sridevi, Subhash Ghai, whistling woods