No Bollywood for Freida PintoNovember 23rd, 2010 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 23 (IANS) “Slumdog Millionaire” star Freida Pinto has ruled out plans of starring in Bollywood films as she is interested in more real cinema rather than the song and dance routines.
She has been offered several “stereotypical” roles for “a girl from India” since finding fame - but she’s adamant she will avoid parts in all-singing, all-dancing Bollywood movies, contactmusic.com reports.
“I wouldn’t want to do a Bollywood film per se, but I would like to do an Indian language film. For some reason I think Bollywood has become synonymous with commercial cinema, which is song and dance and everything that is larger than life. I am interested in the reality,” she said to a magazine.
“It is great to have entertainment, but I think there needs to be something that also makes you want to go back and think about what you’ve seen,” she added.
“Mindless cinema is not my cup of tea…I could get into trouble for saying that. I don’t think Bollywood is only mindless cinema, but a lot of films they churn out are not films that I completely enjoy watching,” the actress said.
“I say hats off to them for doing what they do, because it takes a lot of courage. It is easier to stand and deliver dialogue. Imagine dancing a song out and kind of expressing through it. I think it is a challenge and requires you to lose your inhibitions,” she added.
- Bollywood doesn't treat women like dolls: Freida Pinto - Nov 29, 2010
- 'Trishna' a very beautiful yet tragic tale: Freida Pinto (Interview) (With Images) - Jul 15, 2012
- I don't compare myself with Freida: Tena Desae (With image) - May 27, 2012
- Bengal journos pin Freida for naming 'only one' Bengali filmmaker great - Nov 26, 2011
- Freida proud to break Hollywood stereotypes - Nov 20, 2010
- When Freida Pinto lived in fear - Mar 26, 2011
- 'Slumdog...' experience best for Freida - Aug 15, 2011
- Women don't have shelf life in showbiz: Freida Pinto - Nov 10, 2011
- Freida Pinto to take up mime - May 04, 2012
- Don't see space for myself in Bollywood: Tarsem Singh - Nov 11, 2011
- Anne Hathaway to appear on Glee? - Jan 18, 2011
- Audiences calling shots these days: Neha Dhupia - Dec 16, 2011
- Hollywood racist for Asians, says Dev Patel - Aug 10, 2010
- Freida Pinto says she was self obsessed - Nov 08, 2010
- Our films should carry the Bollywood stamp: Sanjay Leela Bhansali (Interview) - Nov 03, 2011
Tags: actress, bollywood film, bollywood films, commercial cinema, courage, cup of tea, dance routines, dialogue, freida, hats, indian language, inhibitions, language film, larger than life, millionaire, pinto, real cinema, song and dance, stand and deliver, stereotypical roles