Nikhil Tonk wants Shekhar-Adhyayan for Bhanwari Devi movieAugust 20th, 2012 - 2:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 20 (IANS) Filmmaker Nikhil Tonk is keen to cast father-son duo - Shekhar Suman and Adhyayan Suman - for his upcoming film, based on Bhanwari Devi murder.
“We have approached Shekhar Suman for the Thakur’s role who rapes Bhanwari and Adhyayan for the guy who is fooled by Bhanwari. I will also be acting in the film,” Tonk told IANS.
He has been associated with the small screen as creative producer of TV shows and this is his first feature film production.
Earlier, reports had suggested that Tonk was keen on casting an A-list actress for the role, but he has finalised TV actress Sara Khan.
“There was some date issue, so we felt that Sara Khan was the right choice. She has been finalised for the role,” he added.
Bhanwari Devi, a low-caste woman from Bhateri village in Rajasthan, was allegedly gang raped in 1992 and the subsequent court case attracted media attention.
Tonk will focus on the controversial death of the woman and clarified that it is “not really about revenge”.
The shooting will begin in December this year and will be held in different places in India and abroad.
“We will be shooting in Jaipur, Calcutta and Mumbai. We will also be shooting in Greece and Dubai,” he said.
This won’t be the first movie on Bhanwari Devi. In 2001, Jag Mundhra made “Bawandar ” with Nandita Das in the lead role and the movie renewed people’s interest in the case.
Meanwhile, the trial of the 13 accused in the Bhanwari murder case is still in progress.
- Filmmaker Jagmohan Mundhra dies of cardiac arrest - Sep 04, 2011
- Shabana, Deepti remember Jagmohan Mundhra - Sep 07, 2011
- Shekhar Suman wants Sunny Leone for 'Heartless' - Jul 14, 2012
- CBI seeks more time to probe missing nurse case - Nov 24, 2011
- CBI questions sacked Rajasthan minister over missing nurse - Nov 25, 2011
- 'Heartless' will be toughest role of Adhyayan's career: Shekhar Suman - Sep 17, 2012
- Court demands report on missing nurse case every other day - Oct 11, 2011
- Jagmohan hosted people from India in LA: Shekhar Kapur - Sep 04, 2011
- Bishnoi's bail plea rejected in Bhanwari case - May 26, 2012
- CBI submits report on missing Rajasthan nurse - Nov 11, 2011
- Missing nurse: Court asks cops why all in case not quizzed - Oct 13, 2011
- I aim to bring powerful subjects on screen: Nandita Das - Apr 22, 2011
- Complaint against Gehlot for 'inaction' in Bhanwari case - Apr 09, 2012
- Missing nurse case: Legislator's kin declared proclaimed offender - Apr 16, 2012
- Missing nurse case: Maderna shifted to Jaipur jail - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: actress sara, calcutta, caste, court case, creative producer, different places, feature film production, first feature film, jag mundhra, jaipur, lead role, media attention, murder case, rapes, right choice, shekhar suman, thakur, tonk, tv actress, upcoming film