Nicole Kidman joins drive to stop violence against womenMarch 6th, 2008 - 4:58 pm ICT by admin
London, Mar 6 (ANI): Actress Nicole Kidman is the latest star to lend her support for the UN’s Say No To Violence Against Women campaign.
Kidman, who’s the Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Development Fund for Women (Unifem) and also its spokesperson, is motivating people to sign their name to the cause.
“One in three women may suffer from abuse and violence in her lifetime. This is an appalling human rights violation,” Daily Snack quoted her as saying.
“Violence against women and girls is one of the most pervasive human rights violations in the world. In fact, no woman or girl in the world is entirely safe from its reach: it occurs in the home, at places of work, in schools, on public streets, in refugee camps. No woman is safe from its reach.”
“We can put a stop to this. I became Unifem’s Goodwill Ambassador to amplify the voices of these women,” she added.
The other celebrities to have signed for the cause include Hilary Swank, Sir Bob Geldof, Catherine Deneuve and Christopher Lee.
The UN Foundation will be donating I dollar for each of the first 100,000 signatures, and people can add their names by visiting the Say No To Violence website. (ANI)
- Nicole Kidman seeks protection for women in Haiti - Aug 02, 2010
- Nicole Kidman Visits Haiti To Help Vulnerable Women - Aug 03, 2010
- Nicole Kidman campaigns to end violence against women - Nov 26, 2008
- Nicole Kidman opens up about 'emotional' Unifem role - Dec 28, 2010
- UN campaign to protect Delhi women from violence - Nov 22, 2010
- Nicole Kidman speaks out against domestic violence - Oct 22, 2009
- Nicole Kidman Visits Haiti As A Goodwill Ambassador Of UNIFEM - Aug 03, 2010
- Over five million people endorse effort to end violence against women - Nov 26, 2008
- Isabelle Adjani tops Time Magazine's beautiful women list - Feb 09, 2011
- Eastwood, Springsteen to star at Toronto fest - Aug 24, 2010
- Swank regrets attending Chechen Republic President's party - Oct 14, 2011
- Nicole Kidman visits Haiti as a goodwill ambassador - Aug 03, 2010
- India to work with UN for women migrants - Aug 27, 2010
- Hilary Swank to design 'athleisure' apparel - Dec 25, 2010
- Nicole Kidman down with flu - Nov 07, 2009
Tags: actress nicole kidman, catherine deneuve, christopher lee, girl in the world, goodwill ambassador, hilary swank, human rights violation, human rights violations, nicole kidman, public streets, refugee camps, sir bob geldof, snack, spokesperson, three women, unifem, united nations development, united nations development fund, violence against women, violence website