NHRC issues notice to Uttar Pradesh on journalist’s detentionJune 28th, 2011 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 28 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh government has been issued notice by the Natioanl Human Rights Commission over complaints alleging that a TV journalist was picked up by the state police after the channel reported about the deputy chief medical officer’s death being suspicious.
“The commission received two complaints and has taken cognizance of them, alleging that the bureau chief of IBN-7 news channel was picked up by police personnel after the channel reported about deceased deputy chief medical officer Y.S. Sachan’s injuries could not be self-inflicted,” a statement of the apex human rights panel of the country said Tuesday.
Calling the matter a violation of human rights, the commission asked for a detailed report in the matter within a week’s time. It also issued notice to the state director general of police.
Earlier, the commission had issued notices to the chief secretary of Uttar Pradesh, and the Lucknow district magistrate and senior superintendent of police on the death of Sachan in judicial custody while he was lodged in a Lucknow jail.
- Notice to Uttar Pradesh government on medical officer's death - Jun 24, 2011
- Court rejects plea for CBI probe; Doctor cremated (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2011
- Rights panel serves notices to Mayawati government - Jun 24, 2011
- SC/ST panel questions Uttar Pradesh on doctor's death - Jun 25, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh rights panel takes up killed doctor's case - Jun 24, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh government gagging media: CNN-IBN (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Lucknow jail death: Apex court favours independent probe (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- UP Police issued notice over woman's death - Apr 30, 2012
- Court rejects CBI probe plea in medical officer's death - Jun 24, 2011
- Doctor's death: Murder case filed on family's plea - Jun 26, 2011
- Decision for CBI probe delayed, says Sachan's brother - Jul 13, 2011
- Ready to face jail death probe: Uttar Pradesh official - Jun 28, 2011
- Doctor's death in jail: Family moves Supreme Court (Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Samajwadi Party demands Mayawati's dismissal - Jun 25, 2011
- Doctor's death in jail: Family moves Supreme Court - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: apex, bureau chief, chief secretary, cognizance, district magistrate, human rights commission, human rights panel, ibn 7 news, judicial custody, lucknow district, medical officer, New Delhi, state director, state police, superintendent, tv journalist, uttar pradesh government, violation of human rights