Newton to teach acting to slum kidsJune 15th, 2009 - 1:04 pm ICT by IANS
New York, June 15 (IANS) “Crash” star Thandie Newton is all set to put her acting skills to good use - she plans to pass on her talent to children in the slums of South Africa.
Imdb.com reports that Newton will take acting classes at Oprah Winfrey’s Leadership Academy, a boarding school for girls growing up in poverty in the country.
“I am really looking forward to it as it’s such a great scheme and it’s nice to give something back,” said the British-born actress.
Winfrey opened the academy in January 2007 after the country’s former president Nelson Mandela asked the TV mogul to help support educational causes there.
- Thandie Newton to teach acting in Oprah Winfrey's Leadership Academy - Jun 15, 2009
- Winfrey arranges meet with Obama for African students - Oct 07, 2010
- Oprah connects to Jaipur with salwar-kameez, social message (With Image) - Jan 22, 2012
- Slums to royalty: Oprah showcases shades of India (With Images) - Jul 22, 2012
- Winfrey to teach school students - Jul 07, 2011
- Aniston not making a comeback on TV - Oct 27, 2009
- Newton's regrets over early romance director John Duigan as a teen - Aug 18, 2009
- Oprah Winfrey told to defend defamation case - Mar 17, 2010
- Campbell parties away legal troubles - Aug 11, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey depressed over movie flop - Jan 14, 2011
- South Africa to celebrate Mandela's 94th birthday in style - Jun 08, 2012
- Oprah Winfrey's company sued over workout program - Feb 28, 2010
- Oprah reveals family secret: A secret half sister who was put up for adoption at birth - Jan 25, 2011
- Nelson Mandela discharged from hospital (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Millions of South African students greet Mandela on birthday - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: acting classes, acting skills, boarding school, born actress, crash star, educational causes, former president, girls, imdb, leadership academy, nelson mandela, oprah winfrey, poverty, president nelson mandela, slum kids, slums, south africa, thandie newton, tv mogul