New robotic hand mimics a human handJuly 27th, 2008 - 11:02 am ICT by ANI
Washington, July 27 (ANI): European researchers have created a robotic hand that mimics the flexibility and sensitivity of a human hand, and is controlled by a neural-network-based program modelled on the cerebelloum.
The hand developed as part of the research project Sensopac being run by 12 groups can grasp an egg, snap its fingers, and carry coffee.
Experts at the German Aerospace Centre (DLR) have revealed that they made a robotic “skin” out of a thin, flexible carbon that changes its resistance depending on pressure.
According to them, this enabled the robot hand to tell the shapes of an object, the amount of force placed upon it, and the direction of that force.
The researcher say that there are 38 opposing motors that control the hands joints, giving it a touch that ranges from light to forceful.
To model the robot hand, the researchers utilised hundreds of MRI images of human hands.
The researchers hope that they can improve the robots understanding of movement and sensation thorough its neural network, reports TechnologyReview.com.
They say that the robot will be able to sense the properties of an article as and when it picks it up, and adjust its motions in accordance with what it containssuch as a cup containing water or flour.
Started in 2006, Sensopac is a four-year project focused on creating an artificially intelligent robot with sophisticated hand manipulation and grasping abilities. (ANI)
- Scientists develop robotic legs that mimic human gait - Jul 06, 2012
- New approach brings robot pets closer to reality - Sep 18, 2010
- Scientists create robot which registers human emotions - Jul 16, 2012
- Scientists gain insight into 'expertise' - Jul 24, 2012
- Walking patterns of spiders, crabs inspire robot locomotion - Mar 27, 2011
- Scientists step closer to creating test tube intelligence - Jul 22, 2011
- Making human-like robots for easier interaction with people - Mar 08, 2011
- Chip makes rats move, may help humans too - Oct 04, 2011
- Female robot can sing like a pop star - Oct 15, 2010
- The silent assassin: Robots may perform military missions - Apr 18, 2011
- Bizarre female robo 'croons by copying human singer' - Oct 15, 2010
- Child-mother interactions study to pave for robots with social skills - Oct 29, 2010
- NASA's first ever human-like robot ready for space launch - Oct 27, 2010
- Robot punches humans to test pain thresholds - Oct 14, 2010
- Insects inspire creation of walking robots - Jan 18, 2010
Tags: coffee experts, egg, european researchers, fingers, flour, german aerospace centre, hand manipulation, human hands, intelligent robot, joints, motions, mri images, neural network, researcher, robot hand, robotic hand, robots, sensation, shapes, sophisticated hand