New Miss India is keen on BollywoodApril 9th, 2008 - 11:38 am ICT by admin
By Shweta Thakur
New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) Kerala beauty Parvathy Omanakuttan, who won the Pantaloons Femina Miss India World 2008, says she wouldn’t mind trying her luck in Bollywood provided the offers are good. “Why not? I have grown up in Mumbai and am a movie buff. If I get a good chance, good money, good co-stars, I would go for it,” the 20-year-old winner told IANS on phone from Mumbai. She won the Femina contest Saturday in Mumbai.
An arts graduate from the Mithibai College, Mumbai, Parvathy said that winning the pageant was her childhood dream.
“I was just seven when I saw Sushmita (Sen) and Aishwarya (Rai) winning the pageant. I decided then that one day I would also be like them,” said the dusky long-legged beauty.
“I always wanted to be Miss India. I am on cloud nine after winning the contest. However, I must confess when I saw my parents and friends crying after I was announced the winner that it is not just my dream that has come true. Everyone’s dream related to me has been fulfilled. What could be more satisfying than this?”
Parvathy is keen to do a master of business administration (MBA) as a career option.
“I want to pursue MBA because it is very important to have a backup. Films or modelling would not last for long.”
She had won the Pantaloon’s Femina Miss India South held in Hyderabad in December last year.
Asked how life has changed after winning the coveted title, Parvathy said: “It has changed overnight! Before winning the competition I could pull out any T-shirt from my wardrobe and go out with my friends anywhere. But it is not so any more, as all eyes are on me.”
Commenting on her preparations for the Oct 4 Miss World pageant, she said: “This is not a crown of joy. With the crown, the responsibility of upholding the name of the country has also fallen on my shoulders.”
“The preparations started ever since I won the contest. Apart from just concentrating on my appearance, I am also trying to be a stronger person to face the contest.”
Asked about her views on women, she said: “I am a student of English literature and I think feminism has enlightened me. There have been certain cases when women have been refused their rights. The security of women is another very important issue in our country. I want to voice my opinion against female foeticide and crime against women.
“Women can’t run the world alone. You need both - men and women - but I strongly feel for women and am a liberal feminist,” Parvathy said.
“I am sure if the government doesn’t do something it is not far when women would come out and work for their community.”
“Education not only makes one knowledgeable but also makes one think, act and feel independently. It is imperative for everyone, especially for girls, to be educated,” said Parvathy. She worked with Akbar Travels Online.com after completing graduation.
“Everyone wants to earn quick fame and money today. But one must always remember that there is only one Sachin (Tendulkar) and Dhirubhai (Ambani) who worked wonders despite less educational qualifications,” said Parvathy, soaking in her new found success.
- Models bypass pageants for straight road to Bollywood - Aug 23, 2012
- 'Umrao Jaan' is Manasvi Mamgai's dream role - Aug 22, 2010
- New Miss India wants to uplift rural masses - Apr 19, 2011
- I'm focussed on Miss World title: Vanya Mishra - Jun 23, 2012
- Right attitude can help win Miss India title: Manasvi Mamgai - Apr 14, 2011
- Miss India World 2010 wishes to work for animal rights - May 16, 2010
- I want to run around trees and sing with Shah Rukh: Manasvi Mamgai (Interview) - May 04, 2010
- It'll be Bollywood extravaganza at Miss India finale - Apr 30, 2010
- Being beauty queen is about having character: Sushmita Sen - Jul 02, 2011
- Beauty queens come together to celebrate womanhood - May 07, 2012
- Jalandhar girl wins Femina Miss India World title - Mar 31, 2012
- Bangalore Based Model Nicole Faria Crowned Miss Earth 2010 - Dec 07, 2010
- From Muscat to Mumbai to Bollywood, a beauty queen debuts - Apr 01, 2011
- Kanishtha Dhankhar crowned Pantaloons Femina Miss India World 2011 - Apr 15, 2011
- I want to do a raunchy item number: Sushmita (With image) - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: aishwarya rai, arts graduate, business administration mba, career option, childhood dream, cloud nine, co stars, femina miss india, india south, india world, master of business, master of business administration, miss world pageant, mithibai college mumbai, movie buff, pantaloon, pantaloons femina miss india, shweta, sushmita sen, thakur