New book reveals Hemmingway’s antipathy towards HollywoodApril 27th, 2008 - 1:35 pm ICT by admin
New York, April 27 (IANS) A new book by author A.E Hotchner, “The Good Life According to Hemmingway”, documents legendary Nobel winning author Ernest Hemmingway’s disdain for Hollywood. Legendary producer David O. Selznick, who produced the classic “Gone With the Wind”, said that his wife Jennifer Jones would star in “A Farewell to Arms” and that he would pay Hemmingway a $50,000 bonus from any profits.
But Hemmingway wrote back: “If by some miracle, your movie, which stars 41-year-old Mrs. Selznick portraying 24-year-old Catherine Barkley, does earn $50,000, you should have all $50,000 changed into nickels at your local bank and shove them up your [bleep] until they came out of your ears.”
According to pagesix.com, another producer Daryl F. Zanuck, then head honcho of 20th Century Fox, asked Hemmingway if he could shorten the title “The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber” starring Gregory Peck.
Hemingway, according to Hotchner, reportedly said: “I said, you want something short and exciting that will catch the eye of both sexes, right?”
Zanuck later changed the name of the movie to “The Macombe Affair”.
Of “The Sun Also Rises” Hemmingway ranted: “Any picture in which Errol Flynn is the best actor is its own worst enemy.”
As for “The Old Man and the Sea”, he remarked: “I sat through all of that movie, numb. Spencer Tracy looked like a fat, very rich actor playing a fisherman.”
Speaking of a love scene in “For Whom the Bell Tolls”, he pointed out that Gary Cooper “didn’t take off his coat. That’s one hell of a way for a guy to make love, with his coat on - in a sleeping bag.”
Hemmingway committed suicide in 1961.
- Hemingway's favourite Cuban bar turns 195 - Jul 07, 2012
- Sheen likens self to Errol Flynn, admits its time to 'put down his sword' - Feb 03, 2011
- Aniston, Theroux working on short film - Jun 08, 2012
- Andy Garcia lines up financing for Hemingway film - May 17, 2012
- I have out-partied Jagger, Richards, Flynn and Sinatra, says Charlie Sheen - Mar 02, 2011
- Andy Garcia to direct film about Hemingway - Mar 05, 2012
- Hollywood producer Richard Zanuck dies - Jul 14, 2012
- Naomi Watts is new face of Ann Taylor ad campaign - Jul 28, 2010
- Will Smith: Will He Be The Next Robin Hood? - Dec 08, 2010
- Kidman has no problem with nudity - Apr 20, 2012
- 2011 PGA Award Winners: ‘The King’s Speech’ And ‘Modern Family’ Steal The Show - Jan 24, 2011
- Former Yankees baseball player desperate to block wife-swap film - Feb 24, 2011
- Anthony Hopkins to play Ernest Hemingway - Mar 27, 2009
- Cuba celebrates 50th anniversary of Hemingway-Castro meet - May 15, 2010
- Charlie Sheen thanks fans for support - Feb 04, 2011
Tags: 20th century fox, antipathy, bleep, committed suicide, david o selznick, ernest hemmingway, farewell to arms, gary cooper, gregory peck, jennifer jones, legendary producer, local bank, love scene, old man and the sea, own worst enemy, short happy life, short happy life of francis macomber, spencer tracy, whom the bell tolls, wife jennifer