New Bond writer to turn superspy into Afghan war veteranNovember 2nd, 2010 - 5:37 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 02 (ANI): Jeffery Deaver, the author commissioned to pen the next James Bond adventure, has plans to make his superspy a 30-year-old Afghanistan veteran.
Deaver’s untitled new James Bond novel is due for release in May (11) and he told the USA Today newspaper there are some big changes in store for 007.
“The novel is set in the present day, in 2011. Bond is a young agent for the secret service. He’s 29 or 30 years old, and he’s an Afghan war vet,” the Daily Express quoted the writer as saying.
Current Bond Craig is 42 and the literary 007, created by Ian Fleming in the 1950s, would be close to 90.
Deaver is not the first renowned writer to tackle Bond - Kingsley Amis, John Gardner and Sebastian Faulks have each taken the baton from Fleming, who died in 1964 - but Deaver insists his 007 will be a very different superspy.
“I want to stay true to the original James Bond, who many people don’t know much about.
“People know Daniel Craig, they know Pierce Brosnan, they know Roger Moore and Sean Connery, all of whom brought a great deal to the stories of 007. But the original Bond was a very dark, edgy character,” the writer added. (ANI)
- American writer Jeffery Deaver to pen next James Bond novel - May 28, 2010
- Bentley designs James Bond book 'Carte Blanche' for $1,650 - May 02, 2011
- Bentley and publishers Hodder and Stoughten come out with 1500 dollar limited 007 book - Apr 27, 2011
- Connery says no to Bond's 50th anniversary celebrations - Jan 31, 2011
- James Bond, Sherlock Holmes to be resurrected in new novels - Jan 18, 2011
- Clint Eastwood doesn't regret turning down 007 role - Feb 11, 2010
- Pierce Brosnan thinks he 'never really nailed' 007 role - Apr 15, 2010
- Pierce Brosnan says 007 role left him 'tangled up in his ego' - Aug 09, 2010
- Pierce Brosnan returning to TV - Nov 19, 2010
- New Bond Movie Canceled Owing To MGM's Financial Woes - Jul 10, 2010
- Craig wasn't interested in 'James Bond' role - Jul 22, 2011
- James Bond Movie Cancelled Owing To Production Issues - Jul 07, 2010
- Real James Bond 'sneaked into communist Russia in school uniform' - Sep 27, 2010
- Brosnan returning to TV with detective series - Nov 19, 2010
- MI6's WWII mission inspired opening sequence of Goldfinger - Apr 18, 2010
Tags: afghan war, bond novel, daily express, daniel craig, ian fleming, james bond adventure, jeffery deaver, john gardner, kingsley amis, new bond, new james bond, next james bond, pierce brosnan, renowned writer, roger moore, sean connery, superspy, usa today, war vet, war veteran