Never had three-film deal with Yash Raj: Anushka Sharma (Interview)December 8th, 2010 - 9:56 am ICT by IANS
By Robin Bansal
New Delhi, Dec 8 (IANS) Anushka Sharma made a dazzling debut with Yash Raj Films’ (YRF) “Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi” and her next was also from the same stable. Now her third outing “Band Baaja Baaraat” too has been produced by them, but the actress clarifies she was never under a three-film contract with the studio.
“There was never any three-film deal or contract with YRF that could have bound me in any which way,” Anushka told IANS in an assertive tone over phone from Mumbai.
“I signed (director Nikhil Advani’s Akshay Kumar-starrer) ‘Patiala House’ outside of the Yash Raj banner before I signed ‘Band Baaja Baaraat’. But it’s just that this one is releasing before that,” she added.
After making her debut opposite superstar Shah Rukh Khan in “Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi” in 2008, the 22-year-old was next seen with Shahid Kapoor in Badmaash Company”. Directed by Parmeet Sethi, it was produced by YRF.
The former model is now striking a hat-trick with “Band Baaja Baaraat”, releasing Dec 10. Directed by debutant Maneesh Sharma, it marks the launch of Ranveer Singh in the male lead.
Set in Delhi, the romantic comedy revolves around gala weddings and wedding planners.
“I play Shruti Kakkar. She is a girl from a middle-class family in Delhi. She is very ambitious, focussed and hardworking. Her priorities are set in life. She is a very sorted girl, very straightforward and very enduring,” said the actress, who refers to the movie as a “desi Date flick”.
But playing the role was not easy for her.
“I had to learn to speak like a Delhiite. My diction had to be correct. I had to adapt a body language which is very easy going, open and casual just like the people there,” said Anushka.
Delhi girls are known for their temper. Asked if her character incorporates that too, she immediately replied: “Absolutely. You can’t mess with her or act smart with her. You can’t fool Shruti. She is just way too smart.”
The actress, who made a mark with her girl-next-door looks, was also upbeat about her styling in the new venture.
“We tried to pick street fashion. So it was very basic girls-who-go-to-college-today dresses. Shruti is someone who does not care about her clothes. She doesn’t focus on styling. So in the whole film, I’ve worn T-shirts with jootis, kurtis with stoles, etc,” she said.
Having already worked with A-listers like Shah Rukh, Shahid and Akshay, who is the next actor on her wishlist?
“I want to work with all the actors. I am very greedy. They are all so great,” she said childishly.
As far as her Bollywood journey is concerned, she is satisfied.
“It has been very fulfilling because I am doing the kind of work that I want to do. I am not under any pressure to do anything. I do the films that I want to do. I have the right to say no or yes, so I am enjoying my space,” she said.
Doesn’t she miss modelling?
“Now I only act. No modelling. Now I only want to be an actor,” she declared.
(Robin Bansal can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- YRF's 'Band Baaja Baraat' releases Dec 10 - Sep 26, 2010
- 'Band Baaja Baaraat' not funded by debutant's father: YRF - Nov 01, 2010
- 'Rab Ne...' will always remain special: Anushka Sharma - Dec 10, 2011
- Never a problem with Aditya Chopra: Habib Faisal - May 05, 2012
- I was very scared of Rishi Kapoor initially: Anushka Sharma - Jan 30, 2011
- Ranveer admits being conman in real life too - Dec 02, 2011
- Working with new actors a learning experience: SRK - Aug 06, 2012
- Anushka Sharma Won’t Be A Part Of 'Desi Boyz' - Dec 04, 2010
- Priyanka happy for cousin's debut with Yash Raj Films - Feb 15, 2011
- Bipasha wants Atif to sing just for her (Movie Snippets) - Nov 26, 2010
- Anushka replaces Prachi for brand endorsement (With Images) - Jul 23, 2012
- Movie Preview: Band Baaja Baraat - Dec 09, 2010
- Anushka Sharma named brand icon of the year - Mar 13, 2012
- Shakti Kapoor's Daughter Shraddha Signs Three-Film Deal With YRF - Jul 05, 2010
- Band Baaja Baaraat: Is The Movie Funded By Ranveer Singh’s Father Or YRF? - Nov 03, 2010
Tags: advani, akshay kumar, bana, bansal, body language, diction, film contract, film deal, former model, hat trick, kakkar, maneesh, patiala, raj, romantic comedy, sethi, shah rukh khan, shahid kapoor, wedding planners, yash raj films