Nelly Furtado to donate $1M paycheck from Qaddafi to charityMarch 1st, 2011 - 1:31 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, March 1 (ANI): Canadian singer Nelly Furtado has announced on Twitter that she will donate 1 million dollars she earned performing for the family of Libya’s embattled leader, Muammar al-Qaddafi, to charity.
“In 2007, I received 1 million dollars from the Qaddafi clan to perform a 45 min. Show for guests at a hotel in Italy. I am going to donate the dollar,” Fox News quoted her as tweeting.
Furtado won a Grammy Award in 2000 for her breakthrough hit “I’m Like a Bird.”
Canada’s Globe and Mail reported that a representative from Furtado’s label, Universal Music, said more information would be forthcoming on her Twitter page.
Other performers, including Beyonce, Mariah Carey and Usher, have come under criticism for performing at private events for the Qaddafi family.
Meanwhile US Secretary of State Clinton told the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva that Qaddafi and his inner circle must be held accountable for violence that has so far left at least 1,000 Libyans dead since an uprising calling for an end to his four-decade rule began on Feb. 15. (ANI)
- Singer Nelly Furtado donating $1 million from Gaddafi bash - Mar 01, 2011
- Usher donates Gaddafi gig money to charity - Mar 06, 2011
- Mariah Carey feels 'horrible and embarrassed' to have sung for Gaddafis - Mar 04, 2011
- WikiLeaks cables detail Qaddafi clan's extravagant exploits - Feb 23, 2011
- Carey feels she performed for Gaddafi - Mar 05, 2011
- Michael Moore blasts Obama over military action in Libya - Mar 21, 2011
- Beyonce donated Gaddafi-linked money to Haiti - Mar 03, 2011
- Members of Libya's mission to UN ask genocidal war criminal Qaddafi to step down soon - Feb 22, 2011
- Beyonce does 1hr gig for Moammar Khadafy's son - Jan 05, 2010
- White House defends response on Syria situation - Apr 26, 2011
- Gaddafi's son warns of 'civil war' in Libya if father's regime toppled - Feb 21, 2011
- Mexico condemns repression in Libya - Mar 01, 2011
- Qaddafi's grip slipping in Libya, opposition takes control security in some pockets - Feb 22, 2011
- UNHRC poised to adopt report praising Libya's Human Rights records - Mar 01, 2011
- Republicans urge Obama to cancel 2.5-mln-dollar to Libya - Sep 27, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,