NCW to meet victim in Shiney Ahuja rape caseJune 18th, 2009 - 3:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) Calling the incident “shocking”, the National Commission for Women (NCW) is sending a three-member team to Mumbai Friday to meet the teenaged domestic help allegedly raped by Bollywood actor Shiney Ahuja.
The team led by chairperson Girija Vyas and including a law officer will meet the girl and her family members in Mumbai, NCW officials said Thursday.
“It is a shocking incident and we will meet the girl and her family members besides senior police officials regarding the matter. I have informed the Maharashtra director general of police about our visit,” Vyas told IANS.
According to Vyas, the NCW is also working to propose to the union government the need for a separate law for protection of maidservants at workplace.
“The security of maidservants has become a big problem and is a very sensitive issue that needs to be dealt with soon. During my visit to Mumbai, we will also be discussing with authorities measures that can be taken to prevent sexual and physical harassment of maidservants,” said Vyas.
Shiney has been accused of raping his maidservant in his Oshiwara flat last Sunday. A local court had sent him to police custody till Thursday and now he has been remanded in judicial custody till July 2.
- Victim categorically said she was raped by Shiney: NCW - Jul 04, 2009
- 'Shiney Ahuja's maid was raped,' says NCW chief - Jul 04, 2009
- Shiney Ahuja was not drunk at time of rape: police - Jun 23, 2009
- Shiney Ahuja to be tried for rape in fast-track court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh tops in crimes against women: Girija Vyas - Feb 01, 2011
- Try Shiney Ahuja case in fast track court: NCW chief - Jun 19, 2009
- It is 'rule of thugs' in Uttar Pradesh: Krishna Tirath - Feb 07, 2011
- Girls unsafe in Uttar Pradesh, say women's panel, activists (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Bombay HC grants actor Shiny Ahuja bail in rape case - Apr 27, 2011
- Shiney Ahuja remanded to judicial custody till July 2 - Jun 18, 2009
- Court extends Shiney Ahuja's judicial custody till July 16 - Jul 02, 2009
- Shiney Ahuja's bail plea rejected - Jul 08, 2009
- Women's panel to probe forcible stripping by cops - Jun 11, 2010
- Medical reports say Shiney Ahuja was not under influence of alcohol - Jun 23, 2009
- Missing starlet's stepfather remanded to police custody (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: authorities, chairperson, domestic help, family members, girija, judicial custody, last sunday, local court, measures, member team, New Delhi, physical harassment, police officials, rape case, sensitive issue, shiney ahuja, shocking incident, union government, vyas