Natasha Richardson refused to wear PS6 helmet before skiing accidentMarch 21st, 2009 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 21 (ANI): Natasha Richardson, who died in a skiing accident in Canada, had reportedly refused to wear a 6-pound rented helmet, which could have averted the tragedy.
The Oscar-winning actress had met with an accident and suffered a head injury during a private ski lesson at Mont Tremblant resort on March 16.
The 45-year-old had initially showed no signs of injury but later complained of a headache, and was admitted to the Hospitalier Laurentien.
She was shifted to intensive care before being jetted to a New York hospital where she passed away in the presence of her mother Vanessa Redgrave and husband Liam Neeson on March 18.
While one doctor had suggested that the star may have suffered a blood clot on the brain, another said her condition could have been “talk and die syndrome that sees the patient appear unharmed by an impact but later suffers a rapid collection of blood between the skull and the brain.
Staff members believe Natashas life may have been spared had the security precaution been undertaken.
We are heartbroken that we didnt do more to persuade her to wear one. A helmet would have cost her just ten dollars (Canadian), the Sun quoted a staff member as saying.
Every skier is encouraged to wear a helmet, especially beginners like Natasha. But it is not legally enforced and they can always refuse.
I remember Natasha coming into the shop before her lesson. She seemed cheerful, bright and extremely beautiful.
She said she wasnt a good skier and was a little nervous. She spoke to other staff about her equipment, and they offered her some headgear, the employee added. (ANI)
- Natasha Richardson passes away after skiing accident - Mar 19, 2009
- Ski helmet could have saved Richardson's life - Mar 21, 2009
- Natasha Richardson may be brain dead after skiing accident - Mar 18, 2009
- Natasha Richardson Severely Injured in Ski Accident - Mar 18, 2009
- Natasha Richardson died of blunt impact to her head - Mar 20, 2009
- Natasha Richardson suffers 'traumatic brain injury' in skiing accident - Mar 17, 2009
- Natasha Richardson brain dead after ski accident: Reports - Mar 18, 2009
- Actress Natasha Richardson dies after skiing accident - Mar 19, 2009
- Late Natasha Richardson leaves a shattered family behind her - Mar 20, 2009
- Liam Neeson finds love again - Sep 06, 2010
- Actress Natasha Richardson buried in New York - Mar 23, 2009
- Sensational actress Natasha Richardson dies after a ski injury - Mar 19, 2009
- Scintillating Performances! Entertaining Movies! Natasha Richardson did it all! - Mar 19, 2009
- Natasha Richardson reportedly "Off Life Support" and dead - Mar 19, 2009
- Liam Neeson dating Freya St. Johnston? - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: blood clot, blood clot on the brain, head injury, helmet, intensive care, liam neeson, london march, march 21, mont tremblant resort, natasha richardson, private ski, rapid collection, security precaution, ski lesson, skier, skiing, skull, staff member, staff members, vanessa redgrave