Natalie Portman Goes Through Rigorous Training For ‘Black Swan’November 29th, 2010 - 8:23 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Portman had to look and perform like a professional ballet dancer so she had to undergo the painful training periods for getting into the skin of the character. The 29-year-old actress had to live a monastic life and survived on carrots and almonds for weeks. She had to undergo the tough physical hardships to get into the mindset of her character.
According to Portman, the physical hardships made her understand the emotional side of her character Nina. She could not drink, did not go out with friends and did have much to keep the body in shape and form of a ballet dancer. The strict diet was the toughest part of the training period and when she finished the movie, she gorged into pasta during breakfast, lunch and dinner to celebrate.
Director Darren Aronofsky also agrees that Natalie suffered the most for not eating much. But, while under training, the actress maintained a strict practice and she did it with full dedication. She got herself enrolled for training almost a year before the movie started shooting and worked five hours a day including three hours of ballet class.
This is the kind of dedication an actor needs to give perfection to a character like this. Hope her hard work pays well at the Box Office.
- Natalie Portman went through extreme pain for 'Black Swan' - Nov 30, 2010
- Black Swan role should have been mine: Lindsay Lohan - Jul 15, 2011
- Darren Aronofsky begged 'skinny' Natalie Portman to 'start eating' - Nov 15, 2010
- Portman put social life on hold for 'Black Swan' - Jan 12, 2011
- Winona Ryder Is Sorry For Abusing Natalie Portman - Nov 27, 2010
- Mila Kunis' 'scars' from 'Black Swan' - Jan 14, 2011
- Oscar-nominated 'Black Swan' to hit Indian screens Feb 25 - Feb 02, 2011
- Portman 'only did 5pc' of dancing in 'Black Swan', claims body double - Mar 27, 2011
- Natalie Portman in Superman movie? - Oct 02, 2010
- Portman feared dying on 'Black Swan' sets - Dec 30, 2010
- 'Indescribably happy' Portman announces she's engaged and pregnant - Dec 28, 2010
- Portman's father upset with explicit scenes - Oct 25, 2010
- Natalie Portman Speaks About Her Sex-Scene With Mila Kunis In "Black Swan" - Dec 03, 2010
- 'Black Swan' prompts fans to contact Royal Ballet to see Portman - Jan 30, 2011
- Mila Kunis Speaks About Her Intimate Scenes In "Black Swan" - Dec 05, 2010
Tags: actress, almonds, ballet class, black swan, breakfast lunch, carrots, darren aronofsky, dedication, director darren aronofsky, emotional side, mindset, monastic life, natalie portman, nina, pasta, physical hardships, professional ballet dancer, strict diet, swan, training period