Narayanan asks media not to sensationalise rape casesMarch 1st, 2012 - 11:44 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 1 (IANS) West Bengal Governor M.K. Narayanan Thursday asked the media not to sensationalise rape cases and stressed it was everybody’s duty to protect the women and children of the state.
Stating that West Bengal used to be one of the safest places in the past, the governor said: “Now the rapes are not being committed by outsiders. They are being committed by those in the state. It is the duty of all of us to protect our women and children.”
He said the administration was taking all possible steps to prevent any recurrence of such incidents.
“We should also ensure rapists are caught and police action is taken against them,” he said on the sidelines of a programme here.
Recently a series of rape cases, including those involving an Anglo-Indian woman in the upscale Park street, a railway commuter in Katwa of Burdwan district, and a deaf and mute patient in a government hospital in Bankura district, have come to the light.
- Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and mute - Feb 29, 2012
- Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and mute (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Widow 'gang-raped' by train robbers in Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
- NCW members to visit Kolkata April 2 - Mar 31, 2012
- Visit not to pressurise Bengal government: Rights body - Apr 03, 2012
- Deaf-mute athlete raped in Bengal, attacker arrested - Jun 26, 2012
- Kolkata rape: Governor defends Mamata - Feb 23, 2012
- Thwart farmers' suicides: Bengal governor - Jan 23, 2012
- Mamata rule disappoints many women (One year of Mamata Banerjee) - May 18, 2012
- Mamata terms another rape incident fake - Feb 28, 2012
- Mamata, governor differ on farm suicides (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- As Mamata says 'all cooked up', Marxists hit road (West Bengal Newsletter) - Mar 04, 2012
- Bengal needs to improve hospital facilities, says governor - Jan 23, 2012
- Mamata unfurls tri-colour, sends sweets to prisoners - Aug 15, 2011
- Notification for fifth phase of West Bengal polls issued - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,