Naomi Campbell says she gave ‘blood diamonds’ to Mandela charityAugust 6th, 2010 - 11:44 am ICT by ANI
London, Aug 6 (ANI): British supermodel Naomi Campbell, while testifying at the war crimes trial of former Liberian President Charles Taylor, said that that she gave alleged ‘blood diamonds’ to the head of Nelson Mandela’s children’s charity.
The catwalk queen was quizzed about claims made by actress Mia Farrow that Taylor gave the model an uncut diamond following a dinner party hosted by Nelson Mandela in South Africa in 1997.
Giving evidence at The Hague, Campbell admitted that she was given a few ‘dirty-looking pebbles’.
The model then claimed that she had given the uncut diamonds to Jeremy Ractliffe, the director of the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund, the following day intending that he use them to help fund the charity’s projects.
A spokesman for the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund, set up by the former South African president in 1995, said that Campbell’s evidence was “of great concern”.
“We don’t have any record of the diamonds. Mr Ractliffe is among our trustees so he would have indicated if such a thing existed. We have it on record, we have made a statement to say there’s no such record (of diamonds),” the Telegraph quoted Opua Ngwenya as saying.
Ractliffe refused to comment on Campbell’s claims, saying “The matter is sub judice so I am not saying anything.”
Asked about the fund’s statement that it never received the diamonds or money from their sale, he replied: “The fund is correct.”
Campbell arrived at the courthouse in The Hague surrounded by police escorts.
Taylor, 62, is accused of trading in ‘blood diamonds’ to fund a brutal and bloody war carried out by rebels in Liberia’s neighbouring Sierra Leone. (ANI)
- Former Nelson Mandela charity trustee faces 'blood diamonds' charges - Oct 03, 2010
- Naomi Campbell admits in court she was given blood diamonds - Aug 05, 2010
- I have nothing to gain from lying about 'blood diamonds', says Campbell - Aug 11, 2010
- South African authorities seize Naomi Campbell 'blood diamonds' - Aug 07, 2010
- Naomi Campbell "flirted" with Taylor before receiving "blood diamonds", Carole White tells court - Aug 09, 2010
- Campbell wants to get on with her life after 'blood diamond' testimony - Aug 06, 2010
- Former Mandela charity head hands in Campbell diamonds - Aug 06, 2010
- Mia Farrow disputes Naomi Campbell's 'blood diamond' story - Aug 09, 2010
- Naomi Campbell To Testify In The Taylor Trial - Jun 12, 2010
- Naomi Campbell 'to be summoned in Charles Taylor's war crimes trial' - Jul 01, 2010
- Naomi Campbell to testify at Charles Taylor's war crimes trial - Jul 10, 2010
- Campbell summoned to court over 'blood diamond' - Jul 02, 2010
- Actress says Campbell knew diamond gift was from Taylor - Aug 09, 2010
- Mandela charity trustee who hid Campbell's 'blood diamonds' quits - Aug 19, 2010
- Campbell 'facing war crimes court appearance over blood diamond' - May 21, 2010
Tags: actress mia farrow, blood diamonds, bloody war, charles taylor, dinner party, former liberian president, former liberian president charles taylor, liberian president charles taylor, mia farrow, naomi campbell, neighbouring sierra leone, nelson mandela, ngwenya, pebbles, police escorts, president charles taylor, south african president, supermodel naomi campbell, uncut diamonds, war crimes trial