Naomi Campbell opens up about career on catwalkSeptember 30th, 2010 - 5:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 30 (ANI): Naomi Campbell has opened up about her 25-year-long glittering yet controversial career.
The 40-year-old British supermodel talked about her illustrious career with New York art gallery owner Tony Shafrazi for the Interview Magazine.
Naomi was discovered while out shopping in London at the age of 15 and appeared on the cover of Elle the following year.
Soon she was gracing catwalks all over the road, while becoming part of the group of girls - Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer, and Helena Christensen - who would become the world’s first ’supermodels’.”You know, none of us ever cared about this word supermodel. It was just a kind of terminology that the press came up with for whatever reason,” the Daily Mail quoted her as saying.
She also said she remains loyal to the designers - Gianni Versace, Azzedine Alaia, Yves Saint Laurent and Karl Lagerfeld - that put her and her friends on the fashion map and supported the start of their careers.
Naomi has often been labelled as a diva, with reports of her arriving hours late for shoots and throwing temper tantrums.
Though, she admitted that she was ‘a challenge’, she said she also tries to learn from her mistakes.
“Look, I’m controversial. It’s not that people don’t know who I am. If people want to work with me, then they want to work with me. If they don’t, they don’t,” she added.
On asking about her future ventures, she simply stated, “‘I just want to be quiet. I just want to live my life.” (ANI)
- When I was modelling, size 10 was a normal size: Cindy Crawford - Apr 21, 2011
- Helena Christensen has no problems with nudity - Nov 30, 2009
- Claudia Schiffer quits the catwalk - Oct 06, 2009
- Donatella Versace considers her label daring - Nov 21, 2010
- Donatella Versace loves Lady Gaga - Nov 09, 2011
- Lagerfeld's comment upsets Pippa Middleton - Aug 12, 2012
- Campbell rejects 'supermodel' title - Feb 08, 2012
- Fashion industry more racist that ever: Naomi Campbell - Feb 06, 2008
- Aniston gets Decade of Hotness award - Jun 06, 2011
- Schiffer launches fashion line - Jul 08, 2011
- Pregnant Claudia Schiffer poses nude for mag - May 11, 2010
- Donatella not worried about celebrity designers - Apr 20, 2011
- Indian fashion industry can't afford me: Ujjwala Raut - Oct 16, 2011
- Campbell would've loved to be sprinter - Aug 11, 2012
- Eva Herzigova was 'intimidated' when she started modelling - Jun 19, 2010
Tags: art gallery owner, azzedine alaia, christy turlington, cindy crawford, claudia schiffer, controversial career, daily mail, gianni versace, helena christensen, illustrious career, interview magazine, karl lagerfeld, linda evangelista, naomi campbell, new york art, new york art gallery, shopping in london, temper tantrums, tony shafrazi, yves saint laurent