Nandita Das’ ‘Firaaq’ bags award at Pakistan’s KARA film festFebruary 16th, 2009 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 16 (IANS) Two Indian films, - Nandita Das’ directorial debut “Firaaq” and a documentary “Superman of Malegaon” - have won the Ciepie awards at the 7th Kara Film Festival here.
After receiving the award Sunday, Nandita said she was glad at the response her film had received and the citation that the jury gave, Thenews.com.pk reports.
The Best Feature Film award was picked up by Nandita Das’ “Firaaq” that was screened twice during the 12-day festival. Pakistani telefilm “Burns Road Ki Niilofer” picked up two awards for best screenplay and best female supporting actress.
The Ciepie was awarded to six films, two documentaries - “Superman of Malegaon” (India), and “Kesan Lapsi” (Finland) - two short films with one for Best Animated Film awarded to “Even Pigeons Go to Heaven” (France). The best Short Action Film award went to “Match Factor”.
Faiza Ahmed Khan is the director of “Superman of Malegaon”, a spoof on superman films.
Rasheed Naz, who played an important role in Pakistani film “Khuda Kay Liye”, bagged best actor in a supporting role award, while the special jury award went to Rashid Farooqui for “Ramchand Pakistani”.
Indian filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt, in his short address at the fest, said that festivals like these help in bridging the gap between the two neighbours.
He said he was at a shop in Karachi when a guy approached him to ask for help with his neurologically disabled brother.
“The guy asked for help in contacting a neurosurgeon in Mumbai, and I immediately punched in the number and let them set up a possible meeting. This was exactly how film festivals help bring the people of different countries together,” said Bhatt.
Speaking about his meeting with noted ghazal singer Mehdi Hasan, Bhatt said that neither he nor Hasan would forget the bonds formed during their meeting.
- Films have power to threaten subtly: Nandita Das - Apr 12, 2011
- 'Supermen of Malegaon' - poignant, hilarious ode to filmmaking (IANS Movie Review) - Jun 29, 2012
- I aim to bring powerful subjects on screen: Nandita Das - Apr 22, 2011
- Nandita Das bestowed French honour - Apr 16, 2011
- Nandita Das to receive French honour - Apr 15, 2011
- Mainstream cinema not my cup of tea: Nandita Das - Apr 24, 2012
- Nandita to direct play (Movie Snippets) - Jul 10, 2012
- Nandita Das In Kolkata To Shoot For Onir's Film - Mar 09, 2010
- India's largest kids film fest closes with a bang - Nov 20, 2011
- Child poverty film wins short film award at IFFI - Dec 01, 2011
- Indian film to kick off South Asian fest in US - Nov 05, 2009
- Ecuadorian film wins two prizes - Mar 11, 2012
- Pakistani film wins Oscar for best documentary - Feb 27, 2012
- I'm not doing 'Midnight's Children': Nandita Das - Feb 24, 2011
- Argentina wins best short film award at Panama fest - Aug 08, 2011
Tags: ahmed khan, best animated film, best screenplay, directorial debut, farooqui, feature film award, film fest, film festivals, ghazal singer, indian films, jury award, lapsi, malegaon india, mehdi hasan, nandita das, neurosurgeon, pakistani film, short films, special jury, superman films