Nandana Sen’s No To Italian Filmmaker’s Choli Ke Peeche Topless OfferApril 14th, 2009 - 11:08 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Subhash K Jha
After the controversial nude scenes in Ketan Mehta’s Rang Rasiya, Nandana Sen got another highly-prestigious offer that required her to go topless.
Italian filmmaker Italo Spinelli offered Nandana the lead of a tribal woman who’s surreptitiously shot nude by a photographer.
The film is based on Bengali litterateur Mahashweta Devi’s provocative and controversial story Choli Ke Peeche.
The role offered to Nandana was pivotal tempting and challenging .Nandana was sorely tempted.
But doing a full-on topless sequence which is a crucial part of the narrative, so soon after Rang Rasiya , was just not on Nandana’s agenda.
She has reluctantly and after much deliberation said no, throwing the whole project to be started later this year, into back gear.
Nandana explains, “It’s a good project directed by Italo Spinelli, produced by RAI, shot by Blasco Giurardo, the cinematographer of Cinema Paradiso.It’s a powerful story and although I support it fully I feel the subject matter is such that the tribal girl’s nudity cannot avoid becoming unintentionally voyeuristic and exoticised even though that is definitely not the objective. If you remember, previously too I passed on various other international projects because of a similar concern.”
Nandana made an exception with Ketan Mehta’s film. “Rang Rasiya focuses on the increasing critical topic of censorship of art .Remember what happened in Jehangir art gallery last month?. Ketan’s film deals entirely with the freedom to paint the human figure in its natural beauty.The emotional drama as well as the political message of the film revolve around one critical and excessively talked- about scene of Sugandha, the muse, having the courage to break the rules of the time to pose for Ravi Varma(Randeep Hooda) and create a masterpiece of art together.”
But having said this Nandana says no to nudity , no matter how aesthetic.
Could the fact that she intends to tie the knot with steady boyfriend Madhu Mantena have something to do with her decision to forego such a plum assignment? -Sampurn Media
- No more nude scenes for Nandana Sen - Apr 16, 2009
- Nandana Sen turned down two Hollywood Projects - May 02, 2009
- Nandana Sen finally nude? - Jun 25, 2009
- Like economy, Indian cinema should also be liberated: Ketan Mehta - Nov 16, 2011
- 'Rang Rasiya' is reaction against attack on creative freedom: Ketan Mehta - Nov 17, 2011
- Rang Rasiya Fails To Get A Buyer! - Oct 19, 2010
- 'Rang Rasiya' a crowd puller, Nandana overwhelmed at response - Nov 16, 2011
- Nandana's sudden change of heart - Apr 16, 2009
- Nudity symbolises woman power in 'Rang Rasiya': Nandana Sen - Nov 17, 2011
- Boldness is a complicated issue: Nandana Sen - May 22, 2012
- Negotiating with Katrina for 'Noor': Ketan Mehta - Jul 26, 2012
- 'Rang Rasiya', 'I Am Kalam' at Chicago film fest - Aug 18, 2011
- 'Rang Rasiya' release in November: Mehta (Movie Snippets) - Sep 15, 2011
- 'Mr. Singh Mrs. Mehta' about infidelity, bold scenes (IANS Preview) - Jun 21, 2010
- Bollywood posters go dare bare with women - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: bengali, blasco, censorship of art, choli, cinema paradiso, controversial story, critical topic, deliberation, emotional drama, international projects, italian filmmaker, jehangir art gallery, jha, ketan mehta, nandana sen, political message, randeep hooda, ravi varma, tribal girl, tribal woman