Nancy Dell’Olio loses court action against the Daily MailDecember 21st, 2011 - 10:55 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Dec 21 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Nancy Dell’Olio suit against the Daily Mail for defamation has been thrown out. The Strictly Come Dancing star sued the newspaper after a report captioned ‘Return of the man-eater’ was published.
In her suit, Nancy claimed that the report portrayed her as a ‘serial gold-digger’ who only entered into a relationship with 71-year-old Sir Trevor Nunn because of his money. Her lawyer explained that the tone of the report questioned the motive of his client in entering into the relationship.
The lawyer of Nancy, William Bennett, told the court that, “a man-eater is an animal which hunts and kills human prey …Just as the lion hunts the deer for food, Nancy Dell’Olio hunts the millionaire for his money.”
To that, the defense lawyer argued that the story was mean only served the mutual interest of the two in the report.
Reading out his verdict, Mr. Justice Tugendhat said that as much as the story was “unflattering and even insulting,” he cannot award the damage against the Daily Mail because there is no proof of defamation.
When the verdict was read, Nancy was not at the courthouse and it is not clear if she is going to appeal the outcome.
- Nancy Dell'Olio hopes Toni forgives John Terry - Feb 08, 2010
- Nancy Dell''Olio: I slapped Sven for his affair with Faria Alam - Oct 13, 2008
- Elderly director sues woman over 'faked romance' - Aug 07, 2012
- Padma Lakshmi involved in a custody battle with her daughter’s father - Jan 27, 2011
- Eriksson fills his new mansion with mirrors - Oct 23, 2009
- Holmes, Kylie Minogue, Madge among Worst Dressed Celebrities of 2008 - Dec 29, 2008
- 'Harry Potter' stars Carter, Fiennes to star in 'Great Expectations'? - Apr 25, 2011
- Donal Kinsella Rewarded £8.51million for Sleepwalking Naked - Nov 19, 2010
- Of Dilli, spies, tiger hunts and Ramayana (IANS Books This Week) - Oct 14, 2010
- Defense Team Lawyer compares Amanda Knox to Jessica rabbit - Sep 27, 2011
- Wendi wins Chinese bloggers' hearts, fending Murdoch - Jul 20, 2011
- Daniel Radcliffe 'dating Harry Potter producer's stepdaughter' - Aug 05, 2010
- Amanda Knox murder trial verdict to be out soon - Oct 03, 2011
- Padma Lakshmi had hoped 'millionaire Teddy Forstmann was dad' - Jan 27, 2011
- Padma Lakshmi's ex fighting for custody of their daughter - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: daily mail london, deer, defamation, defense lawyer, gold digger, human prey, lion, man eater, millionaire, money, motive, mr justice, mutual interest, nancy dell olio, proof, relationship, sir trevor, trevor nunn, tugendhat, william bennett