N Chandra plans to play with Fire and IceSeptember 10th, 2009 - 4:43 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Subhash K Jha
The maverick filmmaker N Chandra is a lonely man today. He has just completed a script about an intense romantic passion between a boy from a broken home and a girl from a well-to-do family.
He has named the film Fire and Ice. And he’d like to cast Shahid Kapoor and his old friend Anil Kapoor’s daughter Sonam in it.
Alas the doors to the gen-next stars are closed to N Chandra.
“I thought the doors would re-open for me after Yeh Mera India. But sadly not too many people saw it. It was a film I did in a completely contemporary language. There is a belief that I haven’t kept up with the times, that I’m a spent force. That I may have made Ankush, Pratighaat and Tezaab in the past. But that was then. I don’t follow today’s language of the cinema. I made Yeh Mera India in a very contemporary European style. The cameraman was an American.”
Now in Fire and Ice Chandra claims to use a form of narration never used before. “It’s non-linear and in a way never seen before. It’s contemporary and I need a particular kind of personality for the two main parts.”
Getting Sonam should be less difficult for Chandra than getting Shahid. After all Sonam’s father Anil Kapoor teamed up for one of his best films Tezaab with Chandra.
“But that was in past. Things have changed. This is a new generation, a new era in filmmaking. Everyone has their own favorites,” says Chandra, hastily adding. “Anil and I are still very close friends.”
- Movie Review: Yeh Mera India (2009) - Aug 28, 2009
- Sonam faster, better than me on roads: Anil (Movie Snippets) - Apr 25, 2012
- Cast and crew of 'Yeh Mera India' promote their movie - Aug 13, 2009
- Actors, crew of 'Yeh Mera India' get candid with media - Aug 21, 2009
- B-town wishes love, luck for Sonam's birthday - Jun 09, 2012
- I'd get more time to promote 'Mausam': Sonam Kapoor - Sep 16, 2011
- Anupam took just 5 minutes to say yes to Y.M.I. - Aug 21, 2009
- Bhandarkar amused over 'Fashion' copyright case (Movie Snippets) - Apr 13, 2012
- I'm not mad at Shahid, Punit: Sonam - Feb 05, 2012
- It's great to be part of film family: Sonam Kapoor - Jun 30, 2010
- Two out-of-the-box Indian films at Toronto fest - Aug 08, 2008
- Sonam surprised at being tagged 'sexy' - Dec 20, 2011
- Purab and me are like two guys! -Smilie Suri - Aug 11, 2009
- Censors out of sync with today's youth: Sonam Kapoor - Dec 22, 2011
- Off-screen I am contrast to what I am on-screen -Rajpal Yadav - Aug 31, 2009
Tags: anil kapoor, belief that, best films, cameraman, chandra, close friends, european style, film fire, fire and ice, lonely man, maverick filmmaker, narration, new era, new generation, old friend, romantic passion, shahid kapoor, sonam, subhash, tezaab