Myra Gale Brown’s marriage storyMay 17th, 2009 - 8:49 pm ICT by GD
The singer, Jerry Lee Lewis’ turbulent life was hidden away from the media and the public until the British tour of 1958. It was during this tour that reporters found out that Jerry’s who was 23 years of age back then, learned that his third wife was just 13 years old. And that the 13 year old wife of singer was Myra Gale Brown, his second cousin.
For Jerry, his marriage with Myra Gale Brown seemed nothing out of the ordinary, as in the South marrying distant cousins was perfectly okay, and as for the age he did not mind that either as his own sister had got married at the age of 14. When, the news of the marriage came out it triggered a huge uproar among the British audience, during the tour of England, which later resulted in the singer being criticized by the anti rock and roll fellowship that mainly comprised of Christian preachers.
Myra Gale Brow was born on July 11, 1944 and she got married to Jerry in the year 1957 in the month of December, the exact date being 12. Myra was the daughter of Jerry’s first cousin, J.W. Brown who was incidentally also the bassist of Jerry’s band.
The scandal that followed this marriage, destroyed all the prospects of Jerry’s promising rock and roll career and also forced the singer to switch to country music, but as time passed by Jerry began to gain acceptance in the country music circles.
The marriage between Jerry and Myra accounted for two children, Steve Allen Lewis, who met a tragic death by drowning at the age of three and Phoebe, who at present is her father’s manager and lives with him at their ranch in Nesbit, Mississippi.
- Norah Jones inspired by Elvis - Apr 30, 2012
- Pop singer Eddie Fisher dies at age 82 - Sep 24, 2010
- Songwriter Jerry Ragovoy dies - Jul 18, 2011
- Leon Russell To Be Inducted In Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame - Feb 10, 2011
- Whitney Houston: Another star falls (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2012
- Pop star Whitney Houston dies at 48 (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Film songs acted as catalyst of change in India: Luke Kenny - Aug 28, 2011
- Brit newspapers cite proof that Van Morrison has 'love child' with mistress - Apr 18, 2011
- Myra Kraft dies at the age of 68 years - Jul 20, 2011
- Darlene Love To Perform In Broadway's 'Million Dollar Quartet' - Nov 26, 2010
- Mick Jagger's ex-wife calls him sexual predator - Sep 06, 2010
- Brand launches production firm - Aug 10, 2011
- Britney's 'Rock 'N Roll' voted worst ever cover song - Sep 22, 2010
- Folk, rock, fusion music in Manali's cool air - Jun 02, 2012
- Liam's 'Beady Eye' Claims - Jul 19, 2010
Tags: 23 years, british audience, christian preachers, country music, distant cousins, first cousin, gale, jerry lee lewis, marriage story, music circles, myra gale brown, nesbit mississippi, old wife, promising rock, roll career, second cousin, steve allen, tragic death, turbulent life, uproar