‘My Name Is Khan’ advance bookings stopped in MumbaiFebruary 10th, 2010 - 1:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 10 (IANS) Cinema halls in India’s film capital Wednesday stopped advance bookings for Shah Rukh Khan starrer “My Name Is Khan” following violent protests by Shiv Sena activists.
Multiplex chains like PVR and Cinemax withdrew their advance bookings for the film, as did single screen theatres like Mehul in Mulund and Shreyas in Ghatkopar, their officials said.
“We have shut the advance bookings for the film as of now. It may open around 4 p.m. today but nothing is certain at present,” Girish Wankhede, deputy general manager (Corporate Communication) of Cinemax, told IANS.
Pramod Madhve, an official from Mehul Theatre, said: “Nothing about the film’s release is fixed yet. We hope to receive updates by tomorrow. But the advance bookings have been shut for now.”
A Shreyas Theatre official said: “Bookings have been closed as of now, we should be in a position to tell you about the release by tomorrow.”
According to TV channels, major multiplexes like PVR, Big Cinemas, Adlabs and Fun Cinemas too have closed their advance booking windows for “My Name Is Khan”.
Activists of the right wing Shiv Sena have been demonstrating against the movie since Shah Rukh supported the inclusion of Pakistani cricketers in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
The activists have been vandalising cinema halls and tearing up hoardings, despite the Mumbai Police assuring security cover at the 63 cinemas and multiplexes that are still scheduled to show the movie here from Friday.
“We don’t see it as a threat to the release of the movie but it’s a threat to the law and order situation,” Himanshu Roy, joint police commissioner (Law & Order), said Wednesday.
More than 1,000 Sena activists have been arrested.
“My Name Is Khan”, set in post 9/11 US, is releasing worldwide Friday.
- INOX Cinemas restart advance bookings for 'MNIK' in Mumbai - Feb 10, 2010
- 'MNIK' bookings stop, 1,000 held as Sena stirs more trouble (Afternoon Lead) - Feb 10, 2010
- Sena mobs attack theatres ahead of 'My Name Is Khan' release (Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- Mumbai theaters close advance booking of SRK's flick - Feb 10, 2010
- Shiv Sena attacks cinemas due to screen 'My Name Is Khan' - Feb 09, 2010
- Uncertainty dogs release of 'My Name Is Khan' - Feb 11, 2010
- 'MNIK' morning shows cancelled in Ahmedabad - Feb 12, 2010
- Three multiplexes in Mumbai to screen 'MNiK' - Feb 12, 2010
- Khan's 'MNiK' to be released today amidst Shiv Sena's protests - Feb 12, 2010
- Maharashtra Govt. has taken all measures for safe screening of MNIK: Patil - Feb 12, 2010
- Fox going ahead with MNIK release, Mumbai multiplexes still unsure (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- Shiv Sainiks vandalize cinema hall in Mumbai over Shah Rukh Khan's movie - Feb 09, 2010
- Mumbai multiplexes reopen advance bookings for Shahrukh's film - Feb 11, 2010
- Amid Shiv Sena shadow, 'MNIK' gets rousing opening (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2010
- Over 1000 Shiv Sena activists detained ahead of 'MNiK' release - Feb 10, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,