My name is Earl CancelledMay 20th, 2009 - 3:18 am ICT by John Le Fevre
NBC is putting an end to Thursday night sitcom My Name Is Earl, as broadcasters continue to cut modestly performing programs from their lineup.
Fans of the show first learnt about its axing when Ethan Suplee, who plays Randy, posted the news on micro-blogging platform Twitter: “Just got the call that My Name Is Earl has been canceled. They sure did take their time with that decision or rather informing us of it.”
Set in Camden County, a fictional location in the Central Time Zone, the show also starred Jason Lee, Jaime Pressly, Eddie Steeples and Nadine Velazquez
The show evolves Jason Lee’s role as Earl J. Hickey, a petty crook with occasional run-ins with the law. After first loosing a winning $100,000 lottery ticket when he is hit by a car, he finds it and sets about trying to make amends for all the bad things he has done in the past.
The series first aired on September 20, 2005 and the fourth season culminated on May 14, 2009. In it’s first season My Name is Earl attracted an audience of almost 11 million viewers in the US, but by the last episode was averaging only around 4.5 million viewers.
According to industry sources the news might not all be bad, with the producers of the program, 20th Century Fox Television, reportedly talking to Fox and ABC about the possibility of one of them picking the show up.
In the past ABC has been particularly receptive to picking up rival shows, having taken Scrubs after NBC canceled the series last year.
- Jaime Pressly Facing Tax Burden From IRS - Jan 25, 2011
- Jaime Pressly Files For Divorce After 16 Months Of Marriage - Jan 30, 2011
- Jaime Pressly Is Accused Of Not Paying Massive Taxes - Jan 25, 2011
- Actress Jaime Pressly owes back taxes to the IRS - Jan 25, 2011
- Pressly pees to please or tease? - Aug 13, 2009
- Jaime Pressly - wasted before DUI arrest - Jan 12, 2011
- 62nd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards: Nominees & Winners - Aug 30, 2010
- Jaime Pressly of 'My Name is Earl' Allegedly Owes $637G Taxes - Jan 25, 2011
- Actress Jaime Pressly Is Engaged To Lawyer Simran Singh - Aug 01, 2009
- Parents TV Council Worried Over 69% Increase In Profanity In Primetime TV Shows - Nov 10, 2010
- ABC cancels the TV show 'My Generation' - Oct 03, 2010
- Pressly walks down the aisle - Sep 29, 2009
- Fox Cancels "Lone Star", Replaces It With "Lie To Me" - Sep 29, 2010
- Jason Priestley's 'Call me Fitz' premieres in the US - Apr 22, 2011
- The Television Networks Expect To Woo Audience With The New Fall TV Shows - Sep 21, 2010
Tags: 20th century fox, 20th century fox television, camden county, central time zone, eddie steeples, ethan suplee, fictional location, hickey, industry sources, ins, jaime pressly, jason lee, lottery ticket, million viewers, my name is earl, nadine velazquez, night sitcom, petty crook, scrubs, twitter