My Miss India tag has been a deterrent for me: Gul PanagFebruary 10th, 2009 - 9:26 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 10 (IANS) Gul Panag says she always wanted to do meaty roles in films, but her Miss India crown often proved to be a stumbling block as many filmmakers thought beauty queens could only sing and dance on screen.
“My Miss India tag has often been a deterrent for me since I did not take a conventional route to Bollywood and the kind of roles I’ve done or wish to do are not just about dancing around trees,” Gul told IANS on phone from Mumbai.
“A lot of times, because of my beauty pageant win, filmmakers thought that I won’t be able to carry off an intense role and will be only suitable for singing and dancing. So it was not easy for me,” the actress said.
Gul began her tryst with Bollywood with offbeat films like “Dhoop” (2003) and “Jurm” (2005), but it was her role as Zeenat in Nagesh Kukunoor’s critically acclaimed 2006 film “Dor” that established her as a talented actress.
Her performance in thriller “Manorama Six Feet Under” the following year also earned her rave reviews.
Gul’s next project is “Straight - Ek Tedhi Medhi Love Story”, where she acts opposite Vinay Pathak. The film is being directed by Parvathi Balagopalan, who had earlier made “Pyaar Ka Superhit Formula”.
Talking about her unusually titled comedy, Gul said: “My role is that of a caricature artist in London. Since it’s not easy for her to live out of her earnings, she joins Vinay Pathak’s restaurant as a cashier. It’s then that Vinay’s life starts to transform.”
So does she believe that comedy is the flavour of the season?
“I feel slapstick comedy is the flavour of the season, not seasoned comedy. We don’t see comedies like ‘Rajnigandha’ or ‘Golmaal’ any more,” the actress said.
Another feather in Gul’s hat was the Tata Sky commercial with superstar Aamir Khan.
“Working with Aamir was simply outstanding. He is an actor par excellence. He is renowned not only for his huge commercial status but also for being the actor he is,” she said.
This year will see Gul working with Ram Gopal Varma for the first time in “Rann”, which also stars Amitabh Bachchan, Paresh Rawal, Ritiesh Deshmukh and Rajat Kapoor.
“In ‘Rann’ I play Nandita, who represents the voice of youth,” Gul said, refusing to divulge anything more about the movie.
Along with “Rann”, Gul has her hands full with Mukta Arts’ “Hello Darling” and Rajat Kapoor’s “Ek Rectangular Love Story”.
Gul rubbishes rumours about her wanting to join politics.
“I don’t know where these inaccurate statements come into the picture from? It’s true that I am politically quite aware, which I feel each one of us should be because we are a part of the country and of the voting system. But I have no plans of joining the field,” she said.
- Odd couple clash in rom-com 'Pappu Can't Dance...' (IANS Preview) - Dec 13, 2011
- 'Pappu Can't Dance..' Neha's best performance: Vinay - Nov 30, 2011
- Not satisfied but am happy: Ranvir Shorey - Apr 04, 2012
- Saurabh Shukla's next a commercial entertainer - Nov 01, 2011
- Aamir Khan is the maestro of film industry: Kareena - Feb 04, 2012
- Neil to work with 'Shaitan' director (Movie Snippets) - Mar 29, 2012
- Acting is cool, but hosting is so much fun: Mona Singh - Aug 15, 2010
- It's frustrating when your film doesn't reach audiences: Rajat Kapoor - Apr 25, 2012
- Mona Singh To Do Two Films As A Protagonist - Sep 04, 2010
- It was difficult to change my sexy image: Neha Dhupia - Dec 14, 2011
- 'Pappu...' a case of opposites attract (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Dec 16, 2011
- Won't mind struggling all my life: Ranvir Shorey - Apr 28, 2012
- Shadab Faridi to sing for 'Dabangg 2' (Movie Snippets) - Aug 13, 2012
- 'Tere Mere Phere' - a mismatched comedy (IANS Movie Review, Rating: * 1/2) - Sep 30, 2011
- Singing my ultimate dream: Veena Malik - Jul 01, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, beauty pageant, beauty queens, caricature artist, conventional route, dhoop, gul panag, jurm, love story, meaty roles, miss india, nagesh kukunoor, offbeat films, rajnigandha, slapstick comedy, stumbling block, talented actress, tata sky, tryst, zeenat