My friend’s death saved me: Elton JohnJuly 16th, 2012 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 16 (IANS) Singer Elton John credits his late friend for helping him overcome his drug addiction.
The singer was a huge cocaine addict when his 18-year-old friend Ryan White died of AIDS in 1990. John, 65, admits that the teenager played a big part in inspiring him to overcome his addictions, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
In his forthcoming book, “Love is the Cure: On Life, Loss and the End of AIDS”, he wrote: “Ryan was a true hero, a true Christian, because he unconditionally forgave those who made him suffer. Ryan changed the course of a deadly epidemic and helped save millions of lives.”
“But when Ryan died in April 1990 at the age of 18, I didn’t know how to speak to someone unless I had a nose full of cocaine and a stomach full of alcohol. After his funeral, I returned to London and locked myself away at home. My sense of values was buried under my self-destruction. But I’m here today because of Ryan,” he added.
The musician is regretful that he didn’t do more about the AIDS pandemic, and he believes it’s a small miracle that he never contracted HIV.
“I’m deeply ashamed that I did not do more about AIDS back then when my friends, including Ryan, were dying all around me and did not have the strength or sobriety to do anything about it. I would go to funerals, would mourn and my behaviour got worse, I was sleeping around without protection and it is a small miracle that I never contracted HIV myself,” John wrote.
- Aids death teen inspired Elton John to turn his life around - Apr 29, 2010
- 'I've already died twice,' says Gazza - Mar 11, 2011
- Cure AIDS with love, says Elton John - Jul 25, 2012
- Gaga loves being alone - May 06, 2012
- Singer Elton John turns author - Jan 11, 2012
- Many big heroes refused to work with me: Mumtaz (Interview Part 2) - Jul 31, 2012
- Carrie Fisher did cocaine on set of 'The Empire Strikes Back' - Oct 11, 2010
- Quaid's addiction almost cost him everything in life - Apr 13, 2011
- Dalai Lama to meet his sightless hero in Ireland - Apr 11, 2011
- Kelly Osbourne sports beehive hairdo at Amy Winehouse's funeral - Jul 26, 2011
- 'Shab' my first love story: Onir - Jun 05, 2012
- Positive, he brings smiles to other HIV-affected - Apr 16, 2011
- Bhupen Hazarika's cremation wish was not met - Jan 13, 2012
- For these HIV kids, life is all questions, no answers (Nov 14 is Children's Day) - Nov 13, 2010
- Generation Y thinks HIV can spread through mosquitoe bites - Oct 19, 2010
Tags: aids, aids pandemic, cocaine addict, deadly epidemic, drug addiction, elton john, end of aids, forthcoming book, friend ryan, funerals, hiv, john london, musician, old friend, ryan white, self destruction, small miracle, sobriety, stomach, true hero