My best works are with Anand-Milind, Nadeem-Shravan: SameerAugust 4th, 2008 - 10:18 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 4 (IANS) After working with three generations of music directors and writing more than 6,000 songs, lyricist Sameer says working with music directors like Anand-Milind and Nadeem-Shravan was the golden era of his professional life. “Anand-Milind and Nadeem Shravan will always be special to me. Those were the times when I enjoyed working most and produced the best of my creations,” Sameer, who has been writing lyrics for 25 years now, told IANS.
Son of renowned lyricist Anjaan, Sameer started his career in 1983 with the song “Gori pareshan hai” for the film “Bekhabar” but his lyrics for songs like “Dil kho gaya” and “O Priya Priya” in “Dil” and “Nazar ke saamne” and “Dheere dheere se” for Aashiqui” made him popular.
He has penned down lyrics for recent flicks like “Race”, “Mere Baap Pehle Aap” and “Mission Istanbul”.
“Though my songs are getting recognition even today, but I will always cherish the memories of my initial hits like ‘Dil’ and ‘Aashiqui’ that I had written,” said Sameer, who has bagged three Filmfare awards.
The lyricist changed his style with the changing times and worked with composers like Laxmikant Pyarelal and Nadeem-Shravan to Himesh Reshammiya and Pritam Chakraborty of today.
“One has to change with time and keep himself abreast with the changes happening around him. Every generation has its own style and likings and to be in the industry, one has to adopt the changes.”
Director Nikhil Advani of “Salaam-e-Ishq” fame recently signed a five-film contract with him.
Sameer has also written lyrics for Gulshan Kumar’s daughter Tulsi’s debut album. And he hasn’t taken any money in return.
“I had promised Gulshan Kumar that whenever his daughter would come up with an album, I would definitely assist her. Now by working for the album, I’m fulfilling my promise.”
Samer said that he had got many offers to judge reality music shows on TV, but he refused as they didn’t excite him.
“I don’t find any interest in sitting there as a show piece and doing nothing. I was offered to judge various shows, but I did not accept it.”
Sameer feels there is a dearth of good lyricists in India because people don’t take this profession seriously.
“To be ale to write lyrics, people should be able to go into the depth of a subject and also have his own imagination, which comes with utmost dedication.”
He also lamented that lyricists in India don’t get enough publicity.
“No one believed Sahir Ludhianvi when he introduced himself to people because nobody knew him by face. The conditions are changing now but the process is slow. Thankfully people behind the camera are getting some exposure now.”
Asked about his future projects, Sameer said he is writing for five films -Reshammiya’s “Karzzz”, Mahesh Bhatt’s “Kajra Re”, John Mathew Mathan’s “A Love Story”, Satish Kaushik’s “Gujju Bhai” and also “Mud Mud Ke Na Dekh”. All these films star Reshammiya.
Besides, he has also written for “Milenge Milenge”, “Housefull”, “Golmaal Returns” and two films by Vashu Bhagnani.
- Shraddha Kapoor bags 'Aashiqui 2' - Jun 07, 2012
- Quality of music getting poor: Anand-Milind - May 19, 2012
- Composer duo Anand-Milind back - Apr 25, 2012
- Scarcity of songs spells doom for 'Yeh Khula Aasmaan' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - May 10, 2012
- 'Bol Bachchan' music fails to hold interest (IANS Music Review) - Jun 23, 2012
- 'Do Knot Disturb' - not an impressive comeback for Nadeem-Shravan (IANS Music Review) - Sep 01, 2009
- 'Tum chain ho' clear winner in 'Milenge Milenge' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Jun 14, 2010
- Be choosy with the soundtrack of 'Dangerous Ishhq' (IANS Music Review) - Apr 28, 2012
- Lyricists on song: Bollywood's unsung wordsmiths (First of a series by IANS on Bollywood's behind-the-scenes people) - Mar 23, 2011
- 'Aashiqui 2' about Mahesh Bhatt's first love - Feb 07, 2012
- Prasoon Joshi's 'Uff' tribute to Shammi Kapoor - May 27, 2012
- Lyricist Sameer inks five-film deal with Nikhil Advani - Jul 01, 2008
- Sonu hopes for 'my' time in coming year (July 30 is Sonu Nigam's birthday) - Jul 29, 2011
- I wanted to be a singer, ended up as lyricist: Amitabh Bhattacharya - May 07, 2011
- 'Aashiqui 2' bold move by Vishesh Films: Rahul Roy - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: aashiqui, baap, debut album, film contract, filmfare awards, gulshan kumar, himesh reshammiya, laxmikant pyarelal, likings, lyricist, milind, music directors, nadeem shravan, nazar, o priya priya, pritam chakraborty, professional life, sameer, three generations, tulsi