Musician Annie Lennox Honored With ‘Woman Of Peace Award 2009′ For Raising Awareness About HIV/AIDSNovember 30th, 2009 - 6:53 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Nov.30, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Noted British musical artist Annie Lennox was recently awarded the much coveted ‘Woman of Peace Award 2009′ for her unprecedented efforts to raise awareness about the impact of HIV infection and AIDS on women and children. The much acclaimed artist managed to raise awareness about the deadly disease specifically in South Africa with the help of her song ‘Sing’. The artist received the honor earlier this month at a Nobel Peace Laureate summit which was held in Berlin.
The 54 year old musician is known for the activism in raising awareness about AIDS and HIV infection for years now. Moreover, the veteran artist has also been associated with charity work to support people suffering from the deadly infection. The acclaimed recording artist was given the recognition for her ‘Sing’ campaign under which Lennox with the help of 23 other female singers recorded the song ‘Sing’ for her organization. Since then the effort has raised a whopping $2 million dollars with the aim of providing the necessary education and awareness programs in South Africa. At the same time, it has also played a significant role in harnessing proper treatment as well as testing of the infection in the African country.
At the same time, the singer was created quite a buzz, as while receiving the award she wore a T-shirt with HIV Positive written over it, that grabbed many eyeballs. However, it seemed as an attempt to take a step forward in making more and more people conscious about the dangerous consequences of the infection which was gripping people across the world and specifically in countries like South Africa.
- Annie Lennox to join Scottish delegation in Malawi Aids crusade - Jan 18, 2011
- Annie Lennox's New Album 'Christmas Cornucopia' Releases - Nov 17, 2010
- Annie Lennox wears 'HIV Positive' T-shirt to raise awareness - Nov 30, 2009
- Annie Lennox becomes U.N AIDS ambassador - Jun 03, 2010
- Annie Lennox's HIV positive t-shirt - Apr 23, 2010
- Annie Lennox Named As UN AIDS Spokesperson - Jun 03, 2010
- Annie Lennox receives woman of peace prize - Nov 13, 2009
- Annie Lennox Spreads The Message With 'HIV Positive' T-Shirt - Apr 23, 2010
- Annie Lennox's HIV Positive T-Shirt Creates Buzz - Apr 22, 2010
- 34 mn HIV patients in world, infection rate down: UNAIDS - Jun 03, 2011
- This time, Rongali Bihu to spread AIDS awareness - Apr 13, 2012
- Alicia Keys continues her efforts for AIDS awareness - Dec 02, 2011
- Annie Lennox, eldest daughter to go on Malawi mission - Feb 12, 2011
- Singer Annie Lennox's 'HIV Positive' t-shirt raises a lot of questions - Apr 23, 2010
- Women are treated badly in developing countries, says Annie Lennox - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,